My New Etrex Gps

taralee

OK - I have owned about 3 computr/download music devices (all gifts of course) and never used any of them. I probably have the most low-tech cell phone available....get the picture...

I am a serious outdoor lover and adventurer but have never used technology in my adventures. I could use some help because I am so excited to get going on this.

I bought my Etrex at lunch along with the computer cord. SO now what. Is it feasable for me to actually find a cach this Sunday? Is that enough time to learn how to use this thing? DI need to download any software on the thing? My BF has a laptop but I read something about laptops not being compatible with GPS...so I need to do those things at my work PC.

Any and all help would be appreciated..the more simple the better.

Thanks!! Tara

That little yellow etrex is all you need. I started out exactly like you are doing!

Figure out how to enter coordinates to your nearest cache; you can hit the page button until the screen includes the option to "mark" your position, then "edit" that position by highlighting the coords, entering, and hit the up or down button until you reach the correct number. All these buttons can be identified by the short little description included with your etrex--not the whole pamphlet.

Just remember to note, before you hit "save", which waypoint it is that will code for those coordinates!

Try it as you're reading this; soon you'll be a pro.

BTW, you can get all sorts of fancy stuff, but all you need is that cute yellow etrex!

Now, do it and go have fun!

Some simple advice:

1) Read the manual. If you have any questions after reading it, then try coming back here and asking help on what you do not understand. I would imagine you can have it read by Sunday. :huh: The Garmin Etrex manuals also have a little practice session they outline for you to get used to your GPSr in your own back yard (or whatever space you may have).

2) Get on to a regional forum and ask for local cachers to assist in your first couple of finds. They can show you the ropes with a GPSr very quickly. I introduced family to Geocaching after they purchased an Etrex (they had purchased their first computer a month prior, if that gives you any indication of their lack of "tech savvy"), and after a 20 minute rundown on the GPSr functions, I gave them coordinates in the neighborhood for them to find. They found it, and were off after their first cache (successful find, a pesky 2.5 difficulty micro) within an hour of purchasing their GPSr.

3) As you get really spooled up and want to download cache waypoints to your Etrex, one of the mods has a really nice site called Geocacher U that may help with .loc files.

Have fun! :cool:

From what I have heard, there is some great surfing in alaska... them Eskimos can really rip the waves.

http://www.icywaves.com/

Step #1: See if the back of your computer has the same type of plug as the end of the cable. If it does, plug it in.

Step #2: Download a copy of GSAK (Geocachers swiss army knife). http://www.gsak.net/

Step #3: goto your geocaching account page, click "Run pocket query" and enter in your local information. You will be emailed a GPX file you can load into GSAK by double clicking the GPX file. http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Step #4: Run GSAK. Click GPS in the menu, Click SETUP.

Select Garmin, select COM1. Click ok,

Click GPS, SEND WAYPOINTS.

-- If it fails, repeat the process with COM2, COM3 , COM4 etc.

You'll get it. My wife now loads her own waypoints into her etrex.

So I don't need to upload stuf from the computer and all that.....the more I read abot that stuff the thicker the fog became around my brain!

You don't need to upload any software but it actually makes things a lot easier.

But as Suz said, learn how to mark, and edit a waypoint. Key in the coords of the cache you're looking for hit 'Go To' and you're on your way.

The software that you should consider dowloading is EasyGPS. It is free and, as its name says, easy to use. With EasyGPS you can dowload a whole page worth of cache waypoints to your GPS with a few mouse clicks.

And yes, laptops are compatible with GPS units. Well sort of. Your eTrex has a serial connection. Most newer laptops and desktop PCs only come with USB connections. If your PC or laptop are a few years old, then you will probably have a serial connection.

If you have a newer machine you would need a serial to USB adaptor.

Edited by briansnat
I bought my Etrex at lunch along with the computer cord.  SO now what.  Is it feasable for me to actually find a cach this Sunday? Is that enough time to learn how to use this thing? 

You kidding?!? Is there any daylight left where you are?

Well, okay, maybe tomorrow's soon enough. Seriously, to find your first one or two, you don't need much in the way of expertise. Don't overwhelm yourself thinking you have to learn a buttload of stuff before you can leave the house! Once you get your first find under your belt it will start to make sense.

And then, my dear, it will be too late! :cool:

Was it the little yellow eTrex you bought? It's a little confusing...there's a whole range of 'em all called eTrex, and the little yellow one is the only one without a name.

yep it is the little yellow one! Thanks to everyone for all of your pointers! I will try a few easy finds without the aid of my computer but then...Photoduck...you have me intriqued...I might actually attempt to load the stuff with your info...might do it tonight!

Thanks everyone...I am so excited to get started!

yep it is the little yellow one!  Thanks to everyone for all of your pointers!  I will try a few easy finds without the aid of my computer but then...Photoduck...you have me intriqued...I might actually attempt to load the stuff with your info...might do it tonight!

Thanks everyone...I am so excited to get started!

If only I lived in the Marietta area, I'd be happy to help show you the ropes. :cool:

Thank you PDOP's and I will definitely report back on Monday..that is if I have found my way out of the woods by then!

Later!

remember the first waypoint that you will want to "Mark" is the one you'll label "HOME" Those coordinates are the one's you'll want to use instead of your ZIP code to find close to home caches.

I just started in Atlanta with an eTrek Legend C that I won a couple of weeks ago and am having a blast. I thought I could do without all the fancy caching programs and such. However, I tried GSAK and am hooked! I also have my caches stored on my Axim PDA. I look like a total geek out caching. Cell phone, GPS, PDA...lol.