What Maps Do You Use To Plot A Track

Geo Devils

I don't plot routes, but I do plot out the caches on maps.

My wife and I cache like the wind... we change direction when we feel like it. And it takes us to the strangest places. No software can do that for me on my desktop.

As for maps, I have 4 different packages (I love maps). I have found that you get what you pay for. The most powerful package with regard to geocaching that I have is DeLorme Stree Atlas. I do not leave the house to go caching without paper maps with caches plotted on them by the latter.

For me, I use 3 different sets of maps.

I use OziExplorer with digitized contour maps of the area. These are pretty darn good, and produce a nice looking paper map when printed.

But sometimes, you want to see your tracks in 3D ontop of a 3D satellite image.

Google Earth (paid or free version, does not matter) works great for me. I convert all data from my GPS into a GPX file with GPSBABEL. But loading a GPX file into Google Earth results in something 'less than nice looking'. Waypoints, and Icons all show up with the same icon type. Tracks are meshed together in one google earth folder making them more difficult to work with.

As a result, I have a perl script that reads the GPX file, and splits each track into its own GPX file (Hiketrails.gpx, mainroad.gps, spur.gpx). This allows me to load all trails tracks into a single Google Earth folder. I am then able to edit the colors and other attributes of each track type 'globally'.

The Perl script also collects all waypoints / icons into their own respective GPX files based on what icon (mountains.gpx, campsite.gpx, etc) was selected for the waypoint.

By doing this, I'm able to load all mountain waypoints/icons into it's own google earth folder. From here I can then globally edit all mountain peaks to show the correct corresponding google earth icon.

Regards,

----- Mega Mapper -----