British Columbia Geocoin Design Process

dogbreathcanada

Again, this is not a thread in which to post how many coins you want. It has not yet been confirmed that there will be a BC geocoin. Folks, though. at VIGPS.com are working on a possible design, so it does look promising.

At the moment it looks like consensus is forming around the Landsharkz design. A few notes have been made, and there'll probably be a few tweaks here and there.

If you want to participate in the design process, head to the following thread at VIGPS.com:

http://www.vigps.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=385&start=40

(That link will bring you straight to page three of the discussion, where the complete, but preliminary, design from Landsharkz first appears.)

Since it's likely to come up here, as certain individuals (Sandbox people, Half-Canadian, etc.) are posting this in as many places as possible, I thought I'd just quickly cover it.

I made the following comments in June, with respect to the proposed BCGA geocoin at the time. Half-Canadian was kind enough to root out all these quotes. :unsure:

Geocoins do not interest me.
I have no interest in Geocoins, so why would I bother to check how other jurisdictions issue theirs?
If in the end, they want to make coins, they're certainly within their rights to spend time and effort on that endeavor. I just won't support it, because I have no interest in geocoins.
I couldn't imagine there's much longterm investment potential with any geocoin, especially since it appears that coins are traded 1-1 with other coins no matter their rarity.

Yep, I made those comments back in June. As with any open-minded individual, I reserve the right to change my mind. Whereas I'm still not enamoured of geocoins, such that I would never collect them, I am interested in the design process. I am also interested in purchasing local geocoins to support local geocachers. They will also make great FTF prizes for my future caches.

The problem, of course, with the BCGA coin (of which several people made the same complaints) was that whatever design they did plan to do was going to be completely private and "behind closed doors." Of course, as it turns out, after developing interest for approximately 700 coins, they decided to scrap their project altogether.

To sum up. Yes, my position on geocoins has changed since June. I now have interest in local geocoins, from a support perspective as well as a cache prize perspective. I'm not interested enough in geocoins to want to collect them. I have little to no interest in geocoins outside my jurisdiction (other than as examples of good design.)