Buildings Sub-category: Noteworthy Architecture

I would like to see a sub-category in the Buildings section for those which are noteworthy for architecture. Examples may be trend-setting works by famous architects like Frank Lloyd Wright, Frank Gehry, etc., and preserved examples of construction methods used years ago. An example of the latter would be my "Burning Down the House?" virtual geocache GC9AF6 located at N 45° 30.464 W 089° 04.278

Sounds kinda vague unless you did many sub-categories with more specific reasons for it being "noteworthy."

The pyramids are noteworthy architect.

"The pyramids" in general would not fit into this sub-category. If there were a single pyramid defined as "the first pyramid", then it would be a shoe-in here. Although the pyramid shaped commercial buildings in Memphis and Las Vegas may be out of the ordinary in this day and age, they would not fit in this sub-cat because they are merely variations of a theme (i.e., design).

By noteworthy I mean specific buildings that utilize unique, trend-setting, or historically significant designs or construction methods. A refined description for this sub-cat would be that the submitted specific buildings must have received some sort of recognition for their design or manner of construction.

There already is an "earth-sheltered" building category so random examples of that style of construction would not be admitted into this sub-cat. Same with log homes or log buildings in general; they would not fit here. But, if a specific log building has historial design significance, then it would be allowed in this sub-cat.

I would not like to see this sub-cat become a bloated repository for random examples of a particular design. It would be a reference for buildings that meant something when they were originally built, or, mean something now as a singular or dwindling example of a unique or precedent-setting design.

I was going to propose a Frank Lloyd Wright category

A Frank Lloyd Wright sub-cat by itself would be fine, but, I am not sure that all of his buildings would fit in this category. For examples, I would say that his 'Fallingwater' home and Johnson Wax commercial buildings would fit here because the historical significance of their specific design elements altered architectural thinking and influenced future construction methods.

Part of my inspiration for suggesting this sub-cat is the following DVD set:

From - http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60032783

Architectures (4-Disc Series) (2003)

The art of architecture gets the reverential treatment it deserves in this riveting series from European public television channel ARTE. Meet some of the most renowned architects of the past and present, artisans who conceptualized and created buildings that not only house but also inspire its inhabitants -- and the rest of the community in which they stand.

-----------

Another great resource is the following website -

GreatBuildings.com

http://www.greatbuildings.com/

This is a pretty broad category. Perhaps refining it to a certain architecture, or even the first building representing each architectural style would be more appropriate. Otherwise you could just pick a famous architect and dedicate a people category to him or her. I have a fondness of Frank Lloyd Wright and would love to see a list of all his buildings.

I have a fondness of Frank Lloyd Wright and would love to see a list of all his buildings.

That's exactly what I was planning, Jeremy. We have like 3 FLW designed houses plus a couple other buildings here in the Buffalo area, with a couple more being planned for reconstruction. They are a huge tourist draw locally and nationally. When I went to Chicago last year, I took time out specifically to see one of his houses.