Etrex Basic Vs. Explorist 100 Vs. Lowrance?

Gbcue

I'm looking to buy either one of the above GPS's. I don't know which one.

They all seem the same, except the price. Seems like some like the Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance models. Has anybody tested some of them and can voice their opinion on them?

I wanna get a first handheld one. I love the computer one I have, but that's not good for Geocaching...

Thanks!

I have an eXplorist 100. It's a fine basic GPSr. I just upgraded to a 400 though. I will say this: If I had the choice between a 100 and the 210 when I was looking for a GPSr, I gladly would've spent the extra $50 for the 210. The eXplorist 210 gives you room to grow, with its 24MB of memory and computer connectivity. The 210 is a mapping GPSr, whereas the 100 is not. The 210 can use DirectRoute, so for $150 you'd have a GPSr that could be used to route you on the roads.

Edit: Don't forget you have to pay an extra ~$100 for DirectRoute.

Edited by geognerd

I purchased 2 units knowing I would be testing them and returning the one I didnt like. I bought a etrex at target for 100- plus tax and a Lowrance iFinder go for 73.- (including shipping).

Both were acurate. Etrex was easier to learn. But I settled for the Lowrance. Complicated to learn but I downloaded online the 65 page manual and sat out to learn all about the features. The extra features the Lowrance has is the preloaded Maps..great for driving. Battery life said 48 hours..much longer than the etrex but I find the battery life lasts much longer than 48 hours. Also I enjoyed sitting on the beach this summer and with my lowrance it told me about all the ship recks out there I was not aware of...told me the names and dates they sunk..pretty interesting. I know my ifinder has more more than 24 mb for storage..I believe its 36 or 48 MB.

The are so many other features of my iFinder that I have not had the chance to learn about...been too busy caching. With 2 months of caching I have found 136 Caches...

Glad I returned my etrex. I bought my lowrance online from tigergps or tigerdirectgps...but check prices out with pricegrabber.com for the cheapest price available anywhere.

Edited by WeatherednBoston
I purchased 2 units knowing I would be testing them and returning the one I didnt like. I bought a etrex at target for 100- plus tax and a Lowrance iFinder go for 73.- (including shipping).

Both were acurate. Etrex was easier to learn. But I settled for the Lowrance. Complicated to learn but I downloaded online the 65 page manual and sat out to learn all about the features. The extra features the Lowrance has is the preloaded Maps..great for driving. Battery life said 48 hours..much longer than the etrex but I find the battery life lasts much longer than 48 hours. Also I enjoyed sitting on the beach this summer and with my lowrance it told me about all the ship recks out there I was not aware of...told me the names and dates they sunk..pretty interesting. I know my ifinder has more more than 24 mb for storage..I believe its 36 or 48 MB.

The are so many other features of my iFinder that I have not had the chance to learn about...been too busy caching. With 2 months of caching I have found 136 Caches...

Glad I returned my etrex. I bought my lowrance online from tigergps or tigerdirectgps...but check prices out with pricegrabber.com for the cheapest price available anywhere.

Do you think it's worth it to buy the Lowrance Go2 instead?

Every Lowrance "except" the entry level GO & GO2 support memory cards :rolleyes: and no, there currently aren't any color iFinders on the market.. BUT the 16-level greyscale screens show extremely fine detail so the B&W displays are quite good!

The GO2 apparently has more nautical/marine detail than the GO, so if usage in-and-around waterways is in your future then the GO2 would be an advantage over the GO. I believe the land detail is the same on both.

And yeah I've heard people getting nearly 70 hours use from a couple AA batteries with the GO's :blink: , provided minimal use of the backlight.