Sportrak Topo Problem

metolbut

Hello -

Is anyone out there familiar with the message "Unit currently contains no map. Initiating map upload." ? My Sportrak Topo began doing this a few days ago and is basically dead. At power on the above message is displayed and the unit will not respond to button pushes or serial communications. I have to do the '3 button reset' to turn it off. In playing around with it I've managed to get it into different test modes at start-up by holding down various buttons, and all the test modes pass except the communications test. I've asked Thales for help but they want me to send it in and for $45 they'll tell me if they can fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like your basemap got scrambled. There are some troubleshooting things that might be of help in the Meridian FAQs link in my sig line below. I'd try to clear all memory from the hidden menus to see if that makes a difference. I'm not too optimistic, though, and I suspect that you'll need to reload a copy of the basemap if you can find one.

Ooo. I just noticed that you said you had the ST Topo. I'm not sure if your topo maps are retained in clearing all memory or not. Prudent advice would be to proceed with caution. Someone with more certitude should weigh in here soon.

Actually, I think that Magellan should be able to fix it for you...and if that $45 covers the repair, that sounds ok to me. If they want $100 or something, I'd be looking for a new unit.

Ouch! I think the SporTrack Topo basemap is HUGE! If I could find the manual for it and if the Magellan site wasn't throwing an error right now, I would check, but I think it is over 100 megs + in size. That would take a long time to download via the serial connection from your computer to the unit. Hopefully someone will weigh in soon with a solution, or i fear, your only option might be sending it back.

However it works out for you... PLease post a follow up, as I have the SporTrack Topo for the kids and would like to know what happens. Good luck!!

Hi Paul -

I'll definitely let you know how this turns out. Just so you don't send the 'kids' out with the TOPO and no compass ... this thing scrambled on it's own out in the field. Iwas using it one minute and it worked great. I shut it off, and next time I turned it on the basemap was scrambled. Doesn't give one a great feeling of confidence in technology.