Garmin Iii+ Tracking Issues

smenzel

Hey Folks --

I've been without a GPS lately so I haven't been doing much caching. Yesterday I bought a used Garmin III+ for $70. Seems like a sweet deal. Everything seems to work except that it the GPS coordinates appear to be a bit off. Here's what I mean.

I went out searching for GCJZ61 Bassett Pond Blue Berries this afternoon and the blasted GPS sent me south of the road when the cache is actually north of the road.

Thinking I might have made a mistake, I went to a cache whose location I happen to know (and is fairly easy to find). While standing right on top of GCD53A Merry Cache the GPS told me I needed to look another three tenths of a mile southeast.

Then I double-checked the waypoint I had created for my house. The coordinates created using this GPS were a good deal diffferent than the ones I had from my previous GPS (eTrex).

Am I dead in the water with this unit or is there some way to calibrate it? I don't have a lot of time because of the return policy where I bought the unit.

Thanks for any help.

Sandro

Yes, I agree with the cause of the problem. The two things that most commonly cause location errors are the map datum (should be set to WGS 84) and the location format (should be in degrees and minutes - HDDD° MM.mmm'). Errors of up to a few tenths of a mile are usually datum related while the location format frequently creates larger variations. But check both on any unit you get used or if someone else has had a chance to change the settings.