Muggled

Doyman

B)

I'm posting this as a way to vent some frustration and anger toward my fellow man. 2 weeks ago I spent the good part of one day, and the afternoon of another building and setting up what I thought would be a nice different cache. See the archived site http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2b-0c3a521ce571

It had 4-5 visits, 2 TBs and even a jeep TB go through it. 2 days ago I saw that someone had tried finding it but logged that it was lost. I took a trip to the final location and yes it was gone. All day today I thought, maybe, just maybe it might just be lying around the area; maybe someone took it, looked through it and just left it lying out. So after work I decided to go back and see what I could find. I circled the area where the cache was hidden, and something caught my eye, it looked like a CD. I remembered that there was a CD and a DVD in the cache, so I slid down the embankment to where I saw the CD. Sure enough there was the DVD, torn from its packaging. Nearby were pages torn from the Halloween book that Geoboss had left. A few steps away I found the bag that held the logbook, and back up above I found more pages, and the "this is a geocache" note that I had printed and put with the logbook, torn into many pieces.

I can only say that this depressed me, and angered me on many levels. To me geocaching is a fun harmless game that ANYONE can participate in. The idea of finding a cache and simply destroying it is such an outrage to me that I probably shouldn't put into writing the way I really feel.

The thing that really makes me feel bad is that there was someone else’s Travel Bug in there, and now it is gone, probably tossed out into the spillway. In some way I feel responsible for its loss; even though there was nothing I could have done to prevent what happened.

So there really is nothing I can do but vent my frustrations and anger here. I invite all of you who have lost a cache or a TB to post to this thread. Misery loves company right?

Thanks for your "ear"

Doyman

Edited by Doyman

I have had one cache disappear, another lost all the contents. I just pulled out 4 caches from a park, because the locations have become such public knowledge

that non cachers were leaving notes, two were obscene. I am thinking about pulling out of hiding caches, now. I have only 7 left, half what I used to have.

Sorry I missed hunting for it - was going to last weekend but ran out of time finding others.

I had this happen on my first cache I put out. Luckily the kids that found it brought it back. Now I am working on a (I hope) clever re-hide for this.

I am rather new to geocaching, however have found it to be a wonderful family experience. I hope you don't stop hiding caches because of a bad experience by some. Instead, try to get even more creative with your hides.

Take heart and know that there are many who do appreciate the effort and work that have been put into your caches. I'm sure those who did find it were happy with their find.