7 Days And The Explorist 500

Stepadery

Spent 7 days in the Canadian wilderness with my eXplorist 500, Boxwave battery adapter, PC-Mobile USB/Data charge cable, and 16 AA batteries.

Started the 1st day (7:00 am) with a full charge, the eXplorist was heavily used. Backlight was set to revert to dim after a couple of minutes (at all times). Switched back and forth from U.S. to Canadian detail maps till midday. Used track log and saved a several waypoints during the day. That evening (9:00 pm) checked the battery level, showed less than a quarter charge remaining. Powered unit off and connected the Pc-Mobile cable and then the Boxwave adapter containing a fresh set of batteries for the night to recharge.

Day 2 (7:30 am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, it showed a full charge. The eXplorist was used heavily again track logging, waypoints, with no detail map changing. Used reverse track log feature to return to base camp that evening. Used unit at camp to look through the day’s trip. Checked the battery level around (9:30 pm), showed close to the same (less than a quarter charge remaining) as the first day. Connected the charging system using the 1st day’s batteries.

Day 3 (6:30am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, it showed less than a full charge. (lets say 1/16 from full) Again eXplorist was used heavily track logging, much more waypoints, with no map changing. Did use unit more observing how different the map detail was from actual land/water position. At times it showed we were on land when we were on water and visa versa. Used reverse track log feature to return to base camp that evening. Used unit at camp about 30 minutes to look through the day’s adventures. Checked the battery level around (9:00 pm), was very low, I’m surprised low battery alarm didn’t sound. Connected the charging system using a fresh set of batteries.

Day 4 (6:00 am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, it showed a full charge. Same use as the last couple of days. A little more use in finding waypoints throughout the day, and just playing with the unit. Checked the battery level around (8:00 pm), showed close to less than a quarter charge remaining). Connected the charging system using day 3 batteries.

Day 5 (6:00am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, it showed less than a full charge. Same use as prior days. Checked the battery level around (9:00 pm), was very low, again I’m surprised low battery level didn’t show. Connected the charging system using a fresh set of batteries.

Day 6 (6:00am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, it showed less than a full charge. (First time that happened using what I believed was fresh batteries.) Somewhat same day usage, did use back track feature from day1 saved track log. Travel day ending earlier than previous days, used unit about an hour at camp just looking at different features. Checked the battery level around (9:00 pm), less than quarter remaining. Connected the charging system using day 5 batteries.

Day 7 (6:00am) disconnected the charging system and powered the unit up. Checked the battery level, again it showed a little less than a full charge. Big day for the unit. About 4 hours to the outfitters and a 700+ mile trip home using Direct Route feature. (Unit was powered off for about 5 hours prior to trip home) Around 1:30am, 80+ miles from home the low battery alarm came on and a few minutes later the unit powered off.

A few comments:

1. Having to switch back and forth between detail maps of the U.S. and Canada was a pain. We were right on the border, so when I was using the U.S. map the Canada side had no detail and visa versa. (Can a person create their own maps?)

2. I’m surprised the detail maps were a little off, meaning at times we were on water and it showed we were on land and visa versa. (Not by a great margin)

3. I was very pleased with the Boxwave and PC-Mobile. (Found a small camera case that I was able to use to put the eXplorist in it’s own case and the Boxwave and Pc-Mobile cable and car USB adapter and 3 sets of AA batteries nice and safe). Some of my recharge issues were due to the possibility that by accident the power button on the Boxwave was activated while in a case. (The power button is easily moved)

4. The white on the enter button is worn off.

5. Observed that when changing detail maps within a few first hours of use the change went smooth. Towards the end of the day the unit locked up, had to power unit off/on to get maps to load.

6 The color display was easy to read even on the brightest sunny day.

7. This is the first GPS I have purchased so, I can’t compare it to others. Between the 500, Direct Route U.S., Topo Canada, Boxwave charger, PC-Mobile data/charge cable & car USB adapter I’m pleased with my purchase. I did spend a little more than what I had planned.

8. As with any new (toy) the more a person uses and/or learns about it before a major use the better it will serve you.

9. I really enjoy caching with it.

That's an excellent 7 day review of the Explorist B)

So, you'd buy another exact same one if your current unit got lost/damaged? What made you decide to go with an "external portable charger" approach instead of just buying a half dozen proprietary batteries & have them fully charged ready to go before the trip started?

And yea, find any caches? :P

JohnnyVegas-So How many caches did you find while on your trip?

Where we were there were no caches. Did find 2 in the small town we ate at the night prior to heading out to the wilderness. But in the last couple of months with family trips there has been 25 caches found from Michigan, Indiana, and around home. My 16 year old son enjoys it too.

IVxIV-So, you'd buy another exact same one if your current unit got lost/damaged? What made you decide to go with an "external portable charger" approach instead of just buying a half dozen proprietary batteries & have them fully charged ready to go before the trip started??

Yes, I would purchase an eXplorist again. I wanted something small and lightweight. When everything I have with me for that week has to be carried, and kept water tight as possible. My choice for the charger was to keep weight down, the batteries that were used 2 times for charging the unit were then used to power FRS radios or flashlights/small lanterns. And while driving I can use the USB car adapter and cable. The cable that came with the 500 is to much for me to be use under these conditions, but great for home use. The proprietary batteries is under consideration, but then wouldn't the 500 be used more as a battery charger then a GPS. (maybe I'm looking at this wrong)I have some rechargeable AA for a digital camera, might see how they work. B)

I sent you an email.

This would solve all my problems for my long hikes. I could now log an entire two week trip into the Sierra's. The battery life is the only real concern I have had since buying my E500. Your experience has really given me a lift.

I am an ultralight backpacker and the E500 is a great choice for the kind of hiking I do.

Thanks again for putting your experience on here. It is good to know that there there is a solution for what I was beginning to think was dead.

Thanks,

CAStarman

There's also the portable solar option:

PowerFilm 5W Solar panel

Coleman Flex solar charger [at Amazon]

These and others by Brunton, etc. can charge to the battery in the GPS using a female 12V to male 12V connection. They can alternatively charge AA batteries. It should also not be hard to rig up a connection to a eXplorist-type connector for the panels by splicing into a PC-mobile cable. That would mean the solar panel could only be used to charge the eXplorist, however. The best bet would be an eXplorist-to-male12V cable along with the solar charger that has a female connector.

roll.jpg

flexlgop1.jpg

Parsa

BiciMapas,

The Boxwave adapter has a cable/dongle which allows any standard USB connector to plug into it.

Think of your PC data/charger cable having a female USB end; the Boxwave has the corresponding male end.... put the two together and you have connectivity.

Other cool thing on the Boxwave is an on/off switch. This way you conserve your batteries when not on. In addition, there's an LED indicator letting you know it's on. Unit allows for 4 x AA batteries. I just got it and works great on my Explorist 600 as well as on my Zire 31 Palm.

Hope this helps.