Downloading Waypoints Using A Mac

tumbleweed2

I am a new Geocacher, tumbleweed2, and would like to download several waypoints at a time from Geocaching.com to my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS, instead of doing them each by hand. I will probably eventually purchase one of the super-duper software programs that do everything, but until I figure out whether or not I will continue this hobby, I would like to not expend a lot of money.

I have an iBook, with OS10.3.9. I downloaded GPSConnect0.2, as suggested by Geocaching.com site. When I try to open and download waypoints from the Find Cache page, and the .loc file downloads to my desktop, it is just a blank chart, with no info in it. Is this the only free Mac compatible software for downloading Waypoints? Is there a way to convert the waypoints from LOC to GPX, so they will work with Connect 0.2?

The GPSConnect screen only gives the serial port button the choice of modem, but I am connected via DSL.

Also, why do I have to use the serial connection & converter, when my GPS60CS has the usb port?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I got my GPS for my birthday in late August, and have 21 finds so far. This is a great hobby!! Wish I'd discovered it sooner while the kids were stilll at home.

We use Mac GPSPRO, which can be found here:

http://www.macgpspro.com/

Garmin' USB cable wiring is proprietary, eithere that or their USB protocol is, so you have to use the serial. They have a Wintel bias and won't relent.

Once in Mac GPS por the process is very simple. After you've downloaded the waypoints, double click them and they show up on a blank map. Then choose "transfer waypoints" from the appropriate pull down menu, and when the dialog box comes up choose "from map"

Piece of cake.

Hi, tumbleweed2 --

I'm running OS X 10.4.2 on an older Mac G4 450 Mhz dual-processor desktop model. Back when I was running OS 9.2.2, my Garmin 60CS worked fine USING THE USB cable directly!! But, to clarify, everything was being up/down loaded under VPC (Virtual PC 4), a Windows emulator -- Garmin REFUSES to support the Mac in any way, shape or form. Having the 60CS (and using it for caching) just BEGS for you to purchase the MapSource software for street maps (City Select and/or Topo) -- but it ONLY runs under Windows, so on a Mac, you MUST use an emulator, and that ain't cheap. For geocaching, the only REALLY GREAT application is GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). That, fortunately, IS INEXPENSIVE and worth every dollar -- BUT, it too only works under Windows. I've got a Palm-based PDA, and going paperless for caching has its merits -- for that, CacheMate wins hands down.

When I transitioned from OS 9.2.2 to OS X, everything went to hell in a handbasket. I still wanted to connect the 60CS to the Mac USING THE USB CABLE, but nothing seemed to work. I needed to upgrade VPC to run on OS X, so there was another big expense. Transferring maps to the 60CS from MapSource and waypoints from .gpx files out of geocaching.com could be done using the Keyspan USB-to-serial port adapter, but it was pathetically slow. Finally -- FINALLY -- Garmin's latest firmware release seemed to do the trick -- partially. VPC still WILL NOT communicate with the 60CS using direct USB -- but MacGPSBabel DOES!!

So, here's my routine -- and it has become very simple: generate a .gpx file from geocaching.com using a Pocket Query. Run VPC to get into Windows emulator mode. Drag and drop the .gpx file from the Mac side to VPC and run it through GSAK and export the file in two file formats -- 1) as a CacheMate .pdb file for my PDA and 2) as a Garmin MapSource file for my 60CS. Drag and drop both back over to the Mac side. Now I sync the .pdb file with my PDA and load that into CacheMate on the Palm. And I use MacGPSBabel to download the Garmin MapSource file to my GPS -- again, USING THE USB cable only -- no Keyspan adapter needed!! Only problem that STILL exists is transferring MAPS from MapSource to the 60CS. To use USB, I have to switch back to OS 9.2.2 and do it all under VPC 4 -- otherwise, I could stay in OS X and use the serial port, but it takes almost 3 hours for a complete 56MB map transfer.

Anyway, to sum it all up -- it CAN be done!!

Stantastic, I recall your struggles with that very combination, but now that I'm looking at your process I'm wondering if it can be simplified.

Since MacGPSBabel will slurp up the PQ and send it directly to your GPS and there's MacCMConvert will make CacheMate files for you, you could optimize GSAK out of that process.

If, OTOH, you don't mind the extra steps and you want the extra things GSAK brings to the table, go nuts...

Thanks, Robert -- but it's the "go nuts" part that GSAK enables me to do that Babel itself will not (at least not easily) -- considering what I'm doing, and the short amount of time it takes, I'm happy that I can do what I want to do. Now, if I could just upload mapsets into the 60CS using the USB cable under OS X...

At least our GPS interface troubles are coming to an end. Apple will be releasing their new Intel based Macs around June of next year. These Macs will not only run OS X, but will supposedly also be able to run Windows. Then you can just boot up into it when you need to send maps to your GPS, and go back to OS X if you need to get any actual work done. <_<

Thanks for all the suggestions offered here. I haven't had a chance to try any of them yet, but hope to see what I can do soon. I doubt I will go the Virtual Windows route, since we had lots of trouble with prior versions. I may soon be upgrading to Tiger, so may just wait to try any more GPS stuff until that is installed. Thanks again. Tumbleweed 2

At least our GPS interface troubles are coming to an end. Apple will be releasing their new Intel based Macs around June of next year. These Macs will not only run OS X, but will supposedly also be able to run Windows. Then you can just boot up into it when you need to send maps to your GPS, and go back to OS X if you need to get any actual work done. :laughing:

This is not true. You will only be able to run OSX natively on Macs. If you want to run Windows, you will need Virtual PC as you do now. It is believed that Apple will put a chip on the motherboard that OSX will need to recognize during boot-up.

Apple has stated they will not do anything to prevent you from running Windows on an Intel Mac. But honestly who would want to? Once Apple has Intel Macs Wine should be ported fairly easy to OS X allowing you to run Windows programs in OS X without emulation. And even if for some reason you still need VPC, speed will be dramatically faster since you don't need to emulate the processor.

Anyway, on topic, I was thinking of creating a how-to or at least a write up on how I use my 60CS on my Mac. Would anyone find this helpful? I have a .Mac account and could even create a group if anyone was interestead in contributing.

I just got an update from the maker of MacGPS Pro, which I have been using and loving for about a year now. I'm jumping all over this update!

Excerpt from the message I received:

Here's What's New:

Receiver Support

* USB Support for most USB-only Garmin Receivers such as the eTrex Vista C.

* USB Support for most Garmin Receivers such as the 60CS that have

both a USB Port and a Serial Port. Eliminate the cost and the

messiness of adapter cables by using USB.

* Serial Port Support updated for new Garmin Firmware Versions.

Ease of Use

* A new Toolbar and Tool menu speeds operations and makes MacGPS Pro

easier to use.

* Hand Tool and Live Scrolling ease moving around a map or chart.

* Expanded and revised Help menu.

* Help tags provide information when and where you need it.

New Features

* PVT Real-Time with Automatic Switching between PVT and NMEA. No

more trips to the Garmin Receiver's Interface Menu when changing

between Real-Time and Data Transfer operations.

* Errant Individual Track Log Points can easily be deleted.

* The Auto-Open Map function has been extended to work with the USGS

Alaska 1:63360 topo maps.

* View your current position on Google Maps.