City Select V6 Vs V7

rontr

Hi Guys,

I just got a Legend C. I am wanting to get some software for it. I have been watching eBay and I am wondering about the two versions. I really will not be using the auto routing alot, but would like to get something. I see the V7 is in DVD. I do not have a DVD in my PC. WIll the V6 work ok with my Legend C and is there a huge amount of difference between the two?

Thanks for any information.

Ron

Yes version 6 will work with the Legend C. The maps are pretty close in most areas and with the exception of the addition and correction of Points of Interest they are pretty close to the same. I still use version 6 on my Vista.

Be careful on Mapsource software you buy on E-bay. Make sure that you get two unlock codes with it of that you know you are only getting one unlock code. Above two GPS units and you will have to buy another unlock code from Garmin. Also technically if the seller has used the Mapsource on a GPS you are in violation of the Terms of Use by putting it on your GPS also. (The TOU says that it can only be used by one person. As many computers as you want but only one person.)

Ok, I just went to a local store and found V6 of City Select. On the box it does not say that it supports the Legend C, but the V7 says it does. The Legend C is USB also. (I know you all know that). Sorry but just need to make sure that V6 will work without any issues with the Legend C. I want to get V6 because I don't want to have to get a DVD player for my PC also.

Thanks again, Ron

Edited by rontr
Sorry but just need to make sure that V6 will work without any issues with the Legend C. I want to get V6 because I don't want to have to get a DVD player for my PC also.

Yes, version 6 (and all other versions) of City Select will work with the LegendC. The box was probably printed before the LegendC model existed and that's why it's not included in the list of compatible units.

BTW, if you get version 6 now you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to version 7 from Garmin just in case you change your mind about getting a DVD drive (or can have access to one).

I've had City Select v5 since it first came out. Recently my laptop died and I had to get a new one. When I went to re-install City Select, I couldn't find my CDs. Oh well, v7 is out I might as well upgrade Well, buy new that is. So I searched around and the best price I could find was about $140 and another $6 or so for shipping.

Then I checked eBay and found it for $115 plus $8 for shipping. I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised. There are currently several listings on eBay in the same range. I wouldn't hesitate.

There's also some good deals to be had there on v6, if you look carefully.

There's also some good deals to be had there on v6, if you look carefully.

FYI, I just found the auto navigation kit for the Vista C/Legend C(which includes CitySelect v6, cigarette lighter power adapter and a mounting system for your dashboard) at my local BestButy for only $105. I had the clerk check the price twice because the retail list at garmin.com is $216 (http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10564%2D00) - not sure if every local BestButy would have it similarly priced but it's worth checking out because it's such a good deal - and considerably lower than the list price of the items individually: i.e., on garmin.com the list price for CitySelect V6 alone is $139 (http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10473%2D00) and the charger is

$40 (http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10563%2D00)

I cannot comment on v6 versus v7, as I have just started using v6 with my new VistaC (but have no experience with v7). as indicated in other posts, the CitySelect software (any version) isn't perfect, but in my limited usage the past few days the map database is prettty decent for my region (ME, NH, and VT) and teh auto-routing feature has obvious utility for getting you to and from a cache, or for road-trips.

Also note that the v6 versus v7 debate may be a moot one for you - if you buy v6 now from a retailer, you can get a free upgrade to v7 from Garmin (becuase the newer version has recently been released - see details at http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp). In theory then, you could use v6 on your older computer but later use v7 if you wish to upgrade your PC. I have not ordered the upgrade yet, but this is how I anticipate it will work for me.