Geocaching In Spain

GeoHuntersBoston

My family and I are traveling to Spain (Ribadesella) in mid-October and we would like to go geocaching. I've identified about 12 caches in close proximity to Ribadesella. I have several quetions:

(1) Advice on good mapping software that includes Spain for Garmin eTrex Legend.

(2) Advice on local laws, etiquette, or customs that I should know about (e.g. - I don't want to do anything that will be seen as unfriendly by the locals or land me in jail).

(3) Is there anybody in the local area that would like to meet and enjoy this sport together?

JoMaBeLi

Boston, MA

reply directly to: jomabeli@yahoo.com

I live in the other end of Spain, and I cannot go with you, although we would enchant to me already that it is a zone very pretty the one that you have chosen to travel.

The best software for your GPS is the Metroguide Marsource Europa, or the City Select, but they are very expensive, If You find to which it has it in its computer and you carge the planes of the zone by days...

Here the custom local is very similar that in North America, amiability and common sense. :rolleyes:

Por favor, algún Asturiano con Garmin, que le cargue los planos de la zona del metroguide... <_<

I discourage you Metroguide Marsource Europe, I tried the last version and I am very dissapointed with it, just large cities and major roads are covered.

I you have a PDA I will suggest Via Michelin or TomTom, software with detailed coverage here, if you take a notebook with you I can give you some local maps.

Don't bother with neither local customs nor with wilderness, take an spanish GC explanation printout with you if a non-english speaking muggle ask you what are you doing.

FAQ

Spanish geocachers use to hide caches in areas with great views so you will be sure to hike always uphill all the way, remember to wear a nice pair of boots. :rolleyes:

I see very few caches hidden in the area altought all we know many places to hide one, but please don't hide any cache there if you can't keep them.

I hope you have a happy holiday