Opinions On New Gpsr Wanted

treefrog99

I know there have been quite a few post along these same lines lately, so why not one more?

A little background info and what I need:

I travel a good part of the world and all over the US (military). I currently have a garmin GPS 12, but it's time to upgrade. This is what I DO know that my next GPSr needs.

1. color screen

2. expandable memory. sorry garmin, but sometimes I'm on a plane or traveling with short notice and taking a laptop along to load software is not an option and even if I had the appropriate maps loaded to start with, I might move to another area where those maps are no longer good. I would rather take some preloaded SD cards with me so I could pop in the appropriate maps as I needed.

3. replacable batteries. rules out the explorist line unless magellan comes out with an attachable AA/AAA battery pack in place of the factory one. I don't want to worry about a rechargable battery pack going dead in the middle of a patrol 100 miles from base camp.

4. I would like an electronic compass, but the more I read about them, some people don't seem to think they all that accurate. I do take a lensatic compass with me, so I could do without it.

So far that leaves me looking at the Magellan Meridian Color. I have been playing with one for the last couple of weeks so it's a possibility.

I am waiting on the new Lowrance ifinder colors to come out, but they haven't issued a release date yet.

Is there anything else out there that I'm not aware of?

A question for the Meridian users. While trying to load detailed maps, it wouldn't let me load anything over 65 megs. Can you put mutiple maps on one SD card (I was using a 512 card) with a card writer, then put that in the unit? I was using the cable between the unit and computer and it would only let me load one map. I think I was using Mapsend 6.3.

Asking for your advice, any would be appreciated.

You can load multi maps with the SD card, you just have to geiv each map it's own name. I have been using the Meridan gold for over two years, I just saw no need for a Magnetic compass in a GPS, I already own a few base plate compasses.

All GPS's have an electronic compass, Some have a Magnetic compass that will work while staionary. I am sure you will do just fine with your lensatic compass.

As far as Lowrance and a color screen. Even when I was a buyer for a GPS dealer we could never get an answere as far as a ship date on a new model from anyone. they like to use terms like 3rd quarter '05 and so on. Chances are they do not know, some times parts get held up for long periods of time.

You can load multi maps with the SD card, you just have to give each map it's own name.

The problem I was having was that I could create different maps with the software, but it did not give me the option of creating a name and as I loaded each one, it overwrote the one that I had just installed. Frustrating to say the least as I was trying to load all of the northeast in 64ish meg chunks. I did five of these then found out that the only one on the card was the last one. And it was slow going using the serial connector.

All GPS's have an electronic compass, Some have a Magnetic compass that will work while staionary.

The Magnetic compass is the one I was referring to.

I really like the size of the explorist series, but the battery pack (and the firmware issues) are making me look away from it. I think a 500 or 600 would be great for what I need. I have thought about the external USB power boxes, but that would be more stuff to pack. Anyone who uses this setup have any input?

Keep it coming. Going to the desert soon, need help making my decision.

Thanks.

Sounds like the Lowrance iFinder PhDc should be out very soon,, and fits your requirements to a T.

Runs on AA batteries, supports MMC/SD memory chips, high res 256 color TFT screen, excellent detail in their TOPO maps. etc..

Care to wait for it? :rolleyes: Perhaps either call Lowrance, or better still call that website I linked to & get an ETA on availability. If you find out the date please post it here! I'm chomping at the bit to get one of those babies too <_<

The problem I was having was that I could create different maps with the software, but it did not give me the option of creating a name and as I loaded each one, it overwrote the one that I had just installed. Frustrating to say the least as I was trying to load all of the northeast in 64ish meg chunks. I did five of these then found out that the only one on the card was the last one. And it was slow going using the serial connector.

The card reader is the key to doing this on the meridian. You can find details in the FAQS in my sig line, but the general idea is that once the file is written to the SD card from the PC, you can change the name via Windows Explorer.

I really like the size of the explorist series, but the battery pack (and the firmware issues) are making me look away from it.  I think a 500 or 600 would be great for what I need.  I have thought about the external USB power boxes, but that would be more stuff to pack.  Anyone who uses this setup have any input?

You'll have to figure what works for you in the situation you'll be in. A fully charged Li-Ion battery runs my 500 for about 13 hours and some change. I bought two replacement Li-Ions for under $10 on ebay, and carry them around in an Altoids tin (there might be room for a third in there). I figure I'd have to bring AAs for backup in any other unit, so what's the big deal of bringing Li-Ion backup? True, you can't run out to a 7-11 and plunk down the cash for a spare set, but you probably can't do that in the desert, either.

I tend to agree that the USB boxes end up being too much gear...you need the AA batts and connecting cables to make that work.

Also, FWIW, although I'd like to see some polish in the firmware my 500 has been working just fine hardware-wise.

Sounds like the Lowrance iFinder PhDc should be out very soon,, and fits your requirements to a T.

Runs on AA batteries, supports MMC/SD memory chips, high res 256 color TFT screen, excellent detail in their TOPO maps. etc.. 

Care to wait for it?  :rolleyes:  Perhaps either call Lowrance, or better still call that website I linked to & get an ETA on availability.  If you find out the date please post it here! I'm chomping at the bit to get one of those babies too  <_<

I contacted Lowrance yesterday to see if they had a release date yet for the PHD color. They said"no". They would post on their website once they figured it out.

I bought two replacement Li-Ions for under $10 on ebay, and carry them around in an Altoids tin (there might be room for a third in there).  I figure I'd have to bring AAs for backup in any other unit, so what's the big deal of bringing Li-Ion backup?

Please enlighten me on where you got these. I just searched ebay and $40 was the cheapest I found. Are you using an alternate battery? If I could get a couple of spares for cheap, that could influence my decision. One question though. How long will your extras hold a charge while not being used? Days, weeks?

Thanks for your input.

I have both the 60CS (my first GPSr) and the Quest. The city select that comes with the quest can be used on both units. I keep the Quest mounted on the dash of my truck with updated Caches showing. When in n area I have not been to in a while these caches showup as not found. When in the field I use the 60CS. I find the Quest not as easy to use (handle) inthe field. I would not trade eather unit for a Gallon of gas (yet). Hope this helps. Go Quest first than the 60Cs and have the best of both worlds.

Please enlighten me on where you got these.  I just searched ebay and $40 was the cheapest I found.  Are you using an alternate battery?  If I could get a couple of spares for cheap, that could influence my decision.  One question though.  How long will your extras hold a charge while not being used?  Days, weeks?

Thanks for your input.

The battery I am referring to is a close match: the Motorola T720 phone. It works best to search for the part #: SSNN5595B (Here's a link for that search. FWIW, I bought from the seller named edge_cellular).

This battery is only 1100mAH, while the Explorist battery is 1300. So operating life is a little shorter, but not drastically.

I just popped my backups in to see what kind of a charge is on them. I think I charged them up and haven't touched them for at least 6 weeks. There appears to have been a slight discharge; the power indicator looks to be about 7/8 full. Li-Ion is supposed to be better at retaining a charge in storage than NiMH. I would still see it as worthwhile to top 'em up as part of preparation for anticipated use, but they appear to be tolerant of a little benign neglect.

Edit: Hope that search link works ok; I see that the number I provided yields zero results, but they automatically substitute "snn5595" with better results.

Edited by embra

I second everything Embra says about the battery. It keeps its charge for weeks and it usable after being stored for up to 2 months, which is much better than NiMH rechargeables. Again, charge them up before a trip.

Regarding the battery, there is a similar one with an A at the end of the number instead of the B. The SNN5595A model works fine, but has a lower capacity than the B, so get the B.

Also, you can recharge easily in a car, using the cigarette lighter adapters. Belkin makes a USB adapter and a round coax plug (for the middle of the explorist cord) Both take 12 to 24 VDC and output 5 VDC which is what it takes to charge the battery pack.

Will the PHD C have a three axis compass? And is it limited to 128mb for both MMC or SD card? Seems like a useless limit. The Tiger blurb doesn't seem to say... Can I use third party maps? Not mentioned but it would be a killer plus.

I could see Lowrance coming out way ahead of Garmin or Magellan with a little massaging of features but will they???