Feature Suggestions (personal Waypoints, Etc)

bsx and CeruleanCat

I haven't been caching for very long, but I have thought of a couple of things that might make the use of geocaching.com a bit easier or more versitial in my opinion. One thing that I think would be very useful would be referencable personal waypoints. For example, someone could have their home, office, favorite vacation spot, etc to reference in a query or even as a "distance from" reference point when viewing a cache page. Maybe they could be referenced as P___ or something like that. Sharable points might be neat as well.

Another thing that I would like to see would be the ability to run a pocket query against a user so that you can download a gpx of all the caches a certain user has hidden. This would also be a neat thing to do wtih a travel bug for tracking. I like to drop gpx files into Google Earth, and being able to see a map of where a travelbug has been would be really interesting.

Well, that's my $0.02 for now. Thanks for the site!

1. The idea of "multiple origins" like "home," "office," "hunting cabin," "parents house," etc., has been discussed before. The functionality is now available at the new Waymarking.com site, and hopefully that improvement will find its way over here to geocaching.com as well.

2. While you can't directly run a pocket query against a user, for most cache hiders you can get to the same result by running queries for the general area where they hide caches, and then using third-party software like GSAK or Watcher to filter the GPX results so that only the caches from the selected hider will be displayed. I say "most" hiders because some people are able to maintain caches that are scattered for many miles in opposite directions, like if they travel a lot for their job.

3. I think the travelbug track idea has been requested too, but I don't recall the idea receiving an enthusiastic response as a programming priority.

Another thing that I would like to see would be the ability to run a pocket query against a user so that you can download a gpx of all the caches a certain user has hidden.

When I hider has more than say 20 cache hides, it gets tricky- but When its under 20,

I go to the users profile page, select Items owned- It then lists all the hides.

I "select all" and download the gpx file. I get 1 file per page when its more than 1 page-

Using Easygps, I open the multiple files in seperate windows- Drag and Drop until I have 1 big file. I then edit the waypoint names so I can Recognize them.

That has got to be the long way, but without pocket queries - it still does the job.

You can then upload that to google earth, USA photomaps, or whatever-

Another thing that I would like to see would be the ability to run a pocket query against a user so that you can download a gpx of all the caches a certain user has hidden.

When I hider has more than say 20 cache hides, it gets tricky- but When its under 20,

I go to the users profile page, select Items owned- It then lists all the hides.

I "select all" and download the gpx file. I get 1 file per page when its more than 1 page-

Using Easygps, I open the multiple files in seperate windows- Drag and Drop until I have 1 big file. I then edit the waypoint names so I can Recognize them.

That has got to be the long way, but without pocket queries - it still does the job.

You can then upload that to google earth, USA photomaps, or whatever-

but you don't get a gpx doing this - you get an LOC file which only has basic info not all theinfo that you get in a pgx.

yes you do get a listing of his/her caches tho.

cc\