Pocet Pc Software For Geocaching

mtroop

:) I just sold my Garmin Legend, when I bought my Dell Axim. It came with a Bluetooth GPS receiver that seems legitamate. However the software is really poor. I can't enter in coordinates directly and am really sad... :D

I was hoping there would be someone with some experience here, that could tell me if I made a big mistake, or if I can find some alternate software to load on my Pocket Pc based Dell Axim x50.

Please help me...

lost in the woods. :P

Mtroop, when ask about software for your axim, are you wanting mapping software (with maybe voice guidance), software to read cache pages in the field, aerial view software, etc.

You can get all of these and much more for your axim.

Not knowing what you really want in the terms of software, I'm just going to provide a few links to some stuff I have on my axim X5, that I use frequently.

www.mapopolis.com -----for autorouting, mapping, turn-by-turn navigation, geocaching maplet conversions, etc. It has a free trial to see if you like it.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx ------gpxsonar--for going totally paperless and having all the info from the website with you in the field. It's provided by another geocacher free of charge.

There are many more programs out there. These are just some I recommend from my experiences.

LSUFan

Yes, knowing what you are looking for is key to pointing you in the right direction.

I use Memory-Map Navigator with my Dell Axim. It is a great product for off-road and in-the-field use. On the driving side, I use Mapopolis for street navigation.

Memory-Map has just come out with a new version which has better overlay (waypoint, route, track) management and lots of new options for routes and tracks (like tranparency). Plus, you can import GPX and LOC files.

Mapopolis is great for voice-guided street navigation. They had some growing pains with the Axim x50v and the VGA screen, but the latest update I downloaded works wonderfully.

Let me guess: You got the Pharos unit with Ostia software straight from Dell, right? I have the same setup.

If I'm right, the good news is that you can enter coords in Ostia. Tap Tools then Store Farorites. No, it's not intuitive at all.

GPXSonar is a wonderful program for with a gps-enabled PDA. That and a Rhino Skin or Otter Box case and you're set.