Possible Halloween Cache

Bjornian

I am kind of new to geocaching, and a full time college student (so money is not in my pocket). I was thinking of creating a temporary cache in a location that is just a log book and some candy (I didn't expect exchange of items, the candy is because it is a halloween cache). I jsut wanted ot hear people say if this is a good idea or not. I could keep it up for 1 day to 1 week with full permission. i jsut really feel like I am jsut using the geocaching community. The soonest I could reasonably make a perminent cache is...... 10 years, when I settle down. Till then I will be doing college and intership around north america.

Is this an okay idea?

I will see the locaton everyday while it exists.

The location won't be attacked by animals (well maybe squirrels but I will try to make sure that doesn't happen).

Generally, the site asks that caches be semi-permanent to permanent, meaning at least several months. Will you be living at your current location until at least next May? I don't think you'll have a problem setting up a permanent cache that will be active for only 9 months. I'm in the same boat you are as a semi-nomadic college student, and I've hidden over 60 caches (not all of which are under my account any more and some of which I created knowing they wouldn't be active for more than 14 months).

As for food in caches, generally the site reviewers won't allow it because of issues with animals. You may be able to plead your case as an exception, but good luck. One possibility may be to set up a permanent cache and, during that week, put a note in the cache with coordinates/instructions on how to find you (maybe at your apartment...) to get a little goody bag from you in person as a special Haloween bonus. I'm not sure if it would fly but it's the most obvious solution I could come up with. Alternately, I would recommend looking into setting up an event cache in your area. Maybe an event involving a multicache that ends at a particular location where people can meet, greet, and get candy or prizes. If you're interested in this, don't hesitste to contact other cachers in your area to get feedback and ideas from them. They'd probably be willing to help you set something up and may even donate food or door prizes.

Bjorn, I think it's a kewl idea, however, it would violate Geocaching.com guidelines. Because of the two reasons listed by David, I don't think it would be approved. :huh: Don't feel bad about "using" us. It's what we live for. :huh: Once you get settled, you'll have so much experience finding caches, that your hides should be awesome!

P.s; I too, like the meet & greet idea!

I would never eat anything I found in a cache. I would never spray on myself anything I found in a cache either.

Why on Earth would you eat something that has been sitting in a bucket for God knows how long? And what if a muggle found it first, and decided to take a nice long pee in the bottle of "bug repellent". There ya go, spray some of this nice urine all over youself and your kids.

I am going to put out a cache. i have decided this. If I get this stuff together, from the 29th till the 1st it will have a note in it telling you were to find me for a goody bag. I plan on trying to leave the cache out till I graduate. I ma right now trying ot figure out how to make a small log and find a palce ot hie it (though I have an idea).