Meridian Gold Download Problem

Indotguy

After a few weeks of inactivity I bring my Merigold to an Geo Event. At the event they try to load the waypoints of the event caches into it but they won't take. They try GSAK and another popular waypoint transfer program which I don't recall but neither work. When I get it home I try it on my PC using GSAK and have the same problem. I get the following error message from GSAK -

Error sending waypoints:

GPSBabel Version: 1.2.7

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,HANDON*70

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

MAGPROTO: No data received from GPS

GSAK is set for Magellan and the Baud rates of both the receiver and GSAK are set at 9600. I'm running GSAK version 6.0.2. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried a different cable? The Magellan cables seem to not age well.

Are you absolutely sure you've chosen the correct serial port?

The text is telling you that we sent some "hey, talk to me" commands but didn't get any error when doing that and didn't get any response. A broken cable or goo on the back connector (both of which have happened to me) would give you those exact symptoms.

i had a problem with both the meridian golds transfering at anything higher than the lowest baud rate.(can't remember what that was & i no longer have these units) i didnt try them on another pc, but it just ended up being a setting on pc that was my problem. maybe resetting the unit or reloading the firmware will fix the problem.

Edited by hogrod
Have you tried a different cable? The Magellan cables seem to not age well.

Are you absolutely sure you've chosen the correct serial port?

The text is telling you that we sent some "hey, talk to me" commands but didn't get any error when doing that and didn't get any response. A broken cable or goo on the back connector (both of which have happened to me) would give you those exact symptoms.

This is kinda weird. The problem occurred on three different computers and three different cables (two at the event and my own) so I don't think the cable is the problem. I suppose it could be a glich with the "pin" connectors on the back of my GPS though. Last night after posting the thread I tried right clicking a single GSAK waypoint and sending it to the Gold. It worked. I then tried again to send all the waypoints using the main menu "send waypoints" button and they all sent. B) Thanks for all your input.