Garmin Quest

CTBob

Since I stumbuled across geocaching on the web, I've decided that it's a reason to provide a little more justification for purchasing a GPS unit.

I'd like to get something that I can use for geocaching as well as in the car. Audible turn prompts are a must.

I thought the Garmin Quest looked good except for one issue. Is the battery replaceable?

Also, is the screen big enough for the eyes of an older person?

Does anyone have this unit and can you tell me your likes and dislikes?

Thanks

Bob

No, the Li+ cell is not designed to be user-replaceable. For longer trips one could carry one of the AA battery holders made for PDAs that will recharge the internal Li+ cell a couple times, but I agree that it would have been better if the Quest had been designed for AA cells. Or, even better, for the RCR-V3 Li+ cell that would also allow AA cell use.

The screen seems fine to me - but best to check it out for your own eyes.

The reduced prices on the Quest made it attractive enough for me to give it a try, and I've been very pleased with its performance...the quality of the routes are high, and I really appreciate navigating unfamiliar territory with a calm voice warning me that I'm going to want to execute a particular manuver in another mile, 500 feet, etc.

I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have a very good signal lock when there are a lot of trees around, but fortunately that doesn't arise driving around that much. I continue to prefer my explorist for hiking.

Someday, I suppose, I will need a new battery and will have to send it to Garmin for the switch. Whether that's a big pain or a little pain depends on how often that issue comes up.

The reduced prices on the Quest made it attractive enough for me to give it a try, and I've been very pleased with its performance...the quality of the routes are high, and I really appreciate navigating unfamiliar territory with a calm voice warning me that I'm going to want to execute a particular manuver in another mile, 500 feet, etc.

I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have a very good signal lock when there are a lot of trees around, but fortunately that doesn't arise driving around that much. I continue to prefer my explorist for hiking.

Someday, I suppose, I will need a new battery and will have to send it to Garmin for the switch. Whether that's a big pain or a little pain depends on how often that issue comes up.

I use my quest for Geocaching even under trees it works great. Tryied it side by side with a Garmin 2610, where it hold more signal on the bars than the 2610.

For longer trips i use a external Antennea from Glisson??

I used the Quest to find Lisha Kill Cache, external antenna (Mighty Mouse 2) attached with medium luck. While in the tall trees the track was spotty. Maybe it would have been better without the external, next time I'll try that. When I use it in the truck the vehicle suction cup mount that comes with it provides the power so the battery probably isn't being used. Don't think the internal battery will be an issue. I find it a nice change from messing with the AA's in the Emap. I do find the verbal directions given by the unit to be strange at times, but thats probably user error. Good luck, I'll rate the Quest a 9.

Schinnsfly

Edited by schinnsfly

I recently bought a Quest 2 and I love it so far. Seems to hold a signal well. The only thing that I've had problems with is my motorcycle mount seems to lose power occasionally. There is a little more vibration on the bike than in the truck but it just switches to batteriy on occasion. Plus having the maps already loaded is great! I just wish they could figure out how to map for motorcycle routes better.(we like twistie roads better than highways)

I recently bought a Quest 2 and I love it so far....Plus having the maps already loaded is great! I just wish they could figure out how to map for motorcycle routes better.(we like twistie roads better than highways)

City Select vs City Select NT was the main reason I went with the Quest vs Quest 2. The Quest 2 uses City Select NT which uses more data compression and different routing algorithms. So far there isn't a Mapsource computer program to duplicate GPS routing. The older Quest uses regular City Select mapping/ routing so the included computer mapsource program can be used for route planning and routes will transfer.

Sorry, but you cannot save the tracklog on the Quest. You must upload the track to a PC. I miss that feature too (I have a Vista and a GPS V, both of which allow you to compress and save multiple tracks on the unit) but I still think the Quest is a great GPS at a phenomenal price (I paid $346 total).

Edited by appletree

I am new to the whole GPS thing. I have recently purchased a Quest and have used it for driving. I took it on a geocaching adventure with friends who introduced me to the sport and I couldn't figure out how to enter coordinates into my GPS to see try it out. Luckily they had one and we used theirs. I just wanted to see how well mine performed. I bought the quest for the ability to use it in the car and hiking. It is nice and compact (not to mention a great price.)

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Farah :lol:

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

My Quest is relatively new, so I'm not sure this is the best way.

Hold the OK button down to go to the "Where am I" screen, and enter save. That creates a waypoint which you can then edit (coords, name, category, whatever you want). Endorse OK to save your changes, and now you can get to it on the Find button menu to route to it.