Cache Found By Accident

Deb&Jim

Are you it was a geocache? It might have been a letterbox, or a cache from a different website.

If it had a rubber stamp in it - don't take it! (or secretly put it back :D ) - letterboxes work differently from geocaches, and they need those stamps to stay in the box...

Can you give any details from the logbook (like a cache number?) so we can help you more?

no number. Wynn's Mill Number 1 was written on the container. The log had several entries most of them were signed with a stamp of some sort.

That sounds like a letterbox, then.

Those work by the hider having a special stamp in the box. The letterbox finders also have a personal stamp. The finder will stamp the hiders logbook with their personal stamp, then use the letterbox stamp in their own 'journal' (dunno what they call it) to record their visit to that site.

There have been times when geocachers unknowingly take the stamp out of these, thinking they are trade items. This has led to some understandable animosity from the owners of letterboxes who happen to be near a geocache. There is no way for geocaching.com to know where the letterboxes are, and vice versa. i think www.letterbox.org is one of the sites for that activity.

I couldn't find a geocaching.com cache keyword search result, and google was pretty vague, as well...

A more knowledgeable cacher could privide more info.

thanks for the info. Apologize for writing in your log. Stamp was still in the box. The container had been leaking a little. We closed it as tight as possible.

Why apologize? Writing in the logbook is no sin. Not that *I'm* aware of. I'm sur letterboxers do it all the time. Letterboxers have found geocaches and stamped their pages as well. It's all part of the game, as far as I know...

thanks for the info.  Apologize for writing in your log.  Stamp was still in the box.  The container had been leaking a little.  We closed it as tight as possible.

No need to apologize. It's perfectly acceptable to sign into a letterbox when you find it. Just replace it as you found it, the same as you would do for a geocache. And it's not mine anyway, I'm just looking forward to finding these later on when I have a full day to find a lot of stuff in that park. A power trail of these nine letterboxes and at least that many geocaches should make for a fun day.

A poor job by the last letterboxer who left it exposed for a non-letterboxer to find accidently. Good thing it was a cacher and not someone else who could have taken it altogether. :lol:

Comparing the descriptions, it looks like this is between Head Hunters and Swamp Fire and not close enough to either to cause any confusion. Instead, it was just a coincidence that you rested at the relevant tree.