Geocache Rating System

medoug

I'm getting a bit bored with "just-another-container-along-a-trail" caches. I'd like to be able to search for more interesting/scenic/high-quality caches. A cache placed just to get you to a location is fine, but it would be nice if there was some kind of system to help me choose the more interesting/spectacular ones to seek out. This would be especially helpful when geocaching while traveling or vacationing when you are unfamiliar with the area. I can't count the times I've seen requests on this forum saying, "I'm going to be in the Anytown, USA area and want to know of any good geocaches to visit in the area."

I was thinking that it would be really cool if geocachers could rate each geocache by several categories after they find them. The average scores for each category could then be posted for all caches. Then, a cacher, based on the category of their interest, could use the score to determine what caches to pursue. Some possible rating categories could be as follows:

cleverness of the hide,

location's scenery,

location's interest,

location's uniqueness,

location's historical importance,

location's other features,

overal quality,

etc.

I'm curious

1) what others think about this idea,

2) what categories you would like to see, and

3) whether this feature could/should be incorporated into the www.geocaching.com website.

medoug.

The idea has been kicked around a lot. There are some positives and negatives, but overall I think reading the logs will give you a good idea as to which caches are worthwhile and which aren't. If the log is nothing more than a bunch of "Found it, thanks!" you can bet its not worth your time. If you see many logs of a paragraph or more, you can usually be sure its a good one.