Garmin 60c Marine/tides

Spyderweb

Just curious about the 2 options for handling the tides on the 60C. The unofficial method is to download the 162/168 maps to Mapsource, thru which you can use like (and with) any other map. The Garmin official method is to download and run a program that starts with D00590XA... This install creates another executable, which I assume downloads the original tide maps that your Garmin shipped with. I also assume that when you run this, if you have any maps loaded on your unit, they will be wiped out. Has anyone tried the official Garmin method, and if so is there any reason to use it instead of the 162/168 maps? Thanks

On the download page for the D00590XA-Marine POI Database, there is a note which says, "If MapSource data is loaded to your GPS receiver, its preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download this file if you wish to recover this POI database." In other words, it will wipeout the existing maps on your GPSr.

I will say that I've been using the "unofficial method" since I learned about it shortly after the 60 series came out. It works great! The tide stations are there even when showing City Select maps - there's no need to switch maps on the GPSr - they're just there! The data for the entire United States takes up only 161kB - LESS THAN 2/10 of 1MB! Since this method works so well, I see no reason to even consider using any other method - even if the official way did work.

Edited by Neo_Geo

What you're calling the official "Garmin method" restores the preloaded Marine POI database that contains information on marine NAVAids like bouys, lights, markers, etc. for navigating around harbors, staying in proper channels, and avoiding underwater obstructions. But unfortunately this POI database isn't designed to coexist with MapSource mapping products like MetroGuide and CitySelect.

Note that these NAVAid POIs are *not* included in the tidal data that's available for download on the 162/168 pages.

If you already have any Mapsource product you should download what you've been calling the unofficial method. This addes a "162/186" heading in the product pulldown in Mapsource and allows you to load tidal stations along with your other Mapsource products.

If you don't have any Mapsource products you should download and install the D00590XA-Marine POI Database software.

Several Mapsource products have tidal stations built-in including Points of Interest, Metroguide, and Blue-Charts which comes with a product layer called "Tide and Marine Services".

I hope this helps - Rubberhead.

Thanks all. The "official" Garmin method looked like it only works with a serial cable, which I did not have so I couldn't test. And it sounds like there is no overriding reason why I should start using that method and stop using the 162/168 method.

Nah, they both work with USB. There is a select button when you bring up the Marine POI Loader to do Serial or USB.