Category Variables Are Cool

I was playing around with the variables for my Penny Smashers category. They are pretty neat. It was easy to set up pulldown menu selections for the machine denomination and the number of designs. I didn't see many posts discussing them. The Geocaching Tour Guide category has a lot of useful variables defined.

--Marky

I have to agree. I was impressed with the forms page for submitting the Waymark that I did on the Penny Smasher. The only problem I could see is that if I went to a Waymark that I wanted to submit without knowing the various options, I might miss something (i.e. # of designs, directions, cost of entry to a park etc.).

My only question is how many variables does a Category Owner have control over? If it was an endless laundry list of things, I could see how it could quickly turn into a four star Category just to get all the boxes filled in. I'm so lazy though, if I encountered a really odious submission, I'd just give up.

Of the two I submitted, it didn't seem too bad so far.

Edited by Touchstone

I didn't see any limit on the number of variables. The Wi-Fi hotspot category has 15! I think that people who want to add new waymarks to a category will get used to looking at the waymark submission page for the category so that they will know what information is required.

Note to TPTB: Maybe there should be a 'cheat sheet' printout option for a category that will print out the required and optional variables in a way that it would be easy to record them on paper.

Part of proposing a new category will include discussions on which variables should be added to the category to flesh it out. I'm sure this will create a lot of hand wringing in the future but as it grows we'll figure out what works.

We'll also be creating new waymark variables as we grow this activity.