Category Proposal

I'd like to submit a sub-category for the "Ruins" category. My wife and I visited two different sets of Mayan ruins in January. One was listed but the other was not. I tired to make the second one a virtual, but due to Geocaching rules, was not able to get it approved.

If so, in the US at least, the ruins should be those open to the public only. The location of many ruins in the US are deliberately kept secret to prevent vandalism or theft. When I was an archaeologist...so many years ago...I saw firsthand the harm done to sites from pothunters. It is disgusting to see old graves dug up, human bones scattered all over, just because some greedy thief wanted to sell an old Indian pot for a few hundred dollars. Not to mention the loss of valuable information from the sites because of the many holes dug all over the place from a pothunter looking for stuff.

In the UK the "ruins" are all on the government produced maps, so they are not secret, but they are not always indicated on the land itself.

I would like to "take people to" sites I know about by GPS - like eartchcaches - with an educational paragraph aimed at mid high-school level. And I'd also like to visit the places others had waymarked and look.

I do agree there is a danger of fools digging the stuff up and metal detectorists finding things. But we also have strict laws about unauthroised digging on listed sites here - it is not allowed. And the population is being ediucated by lots of pop archeology programs on TV