Archiving

Team Oodi

I understand that caches have to be placed a certain minimum distance apart. Once a cache is archived, does it make the area available for a new cache?

I have the Misfit Lake cache. As indicated in the log entries, after the cache was placed someone turned the area into what appears to be a grave site. The cache has been relocated a short distance away.

While I was updating the cache listing I realized that it would be best to remove tha cache alltogether. There are many nice locations nearby that have caching potential. I think the new location will be close but different enough from the old place to warrant a new cache and qualify for a new find. So can I place a cache a couple hundred feet away from Misfit Lake if it is archived?

Yep, once the cache is archived anyone can place a new one in the area of the old one. I know of a few cachers who have an "archive" policy, meaning after their caches are a few years old they will archive them to make room for newbies or someone who wants to put a new placement were their hides were located.

Edited by HuckleBuckle

You are more than welcome to archive your old cache to place a new one. Cachers do it all the time when they want to renew interest in an area that had nothing but old caches. I even made a new cache when I moved it a few hundred feet and gave it a new logbook, because I felt it was a new hunt. When I archived that cache 18 months later, two new caches popped up in its place. It's a widely accepted practice!