Bug Reports

I'm not sure if there is already a running thread for bug reports (I don't know if you guys want them together or in seperate threads...) but here is a bug I just experienced.

I visited a potentical waymark location for the following waymark category: Places -> Buildings -> Stadiums -> Minor League Baseball Stadiums.

I just logged the waymark visit and am waiting for approval. I decided to do a few searches in major population centers in my state to see if there have been any waymarks visited in Mississippi. I clocked on the Home-> link. The first place I tried was the Jackson metro area (the area where the park I visited is located).

When I entered the zipcode, it kept sending me back to the Minor League Baseball Stadium waymark. At the bottom it said (in red) "No waymarks visits listed" (or something like that).

So... I tried a different zipcode that was more than 10 miles away from the park (more like 50 miles away) and it still pointed me back to that page. I tried a few more then realized that this was being tagged onto the end of all of the url's:

?f=-1&DCTGUID=1f22a1db-db07-4303-b9d3-cef2ce68cb06

When I clicked on the "home" link it took me to: http://www.Waymarking.com/?f=-1&DCTGUID=1f...d3-cef2ce68cb06

Anyways, I haven't tried to submit another waymark to duplicate this but I thought I'd let you know.

sd

I'm not sure if there is already a running thread for bug reports (I don't know if you guys want them together or in seperate threads...) but here is a bug I just experienced.

I visited a potentical waymark location for the following waymark category: Places -> Buildings -> Stadiums -> Minor League Baseball Stadiums. 

I just logged the waymark visit and am waiting for approval.  I decided to do a few searches in major population centers in my state to see if there have been any waymarks visited in Mississippi. I clocked on the Home-> link.  The first place I tried was the Jackson metro area (the area where the park I visited is located).

When I entered the zipcode, it kept sending me back to the Minor League Baseball Stadium waymark.  At the bottom it said (in red) "No waymarks visits listed" (or something like that). 

So... I tried a different zipcode that was more than 10 miles away from the park (more like 50 miles away) and it still pointed me back to that page.  I tried a few more then realized that this was being tagged onto the end of all of the url's:

?f=-1&DCTGUID=1f22a1db-db07-4303-b9d3-cef2ce68cb06

When I clicked on the "home" link it took me to: http://www.Waymarking.com/?f=-1&DCTGUID=1f...d3-cef2ce68cb06

Anyways, I haven't tried to submit another waymark to duplicate this but I thought I'd let you know.

sd

Interesting. While I would indeed classify this as a bug (because it sends you back to the specific category after going to the home page), I think you are mistaking the "search" feature for the "location filter".

The location filter (which is on the home page and also on each category page) narrows your directory down to categories contained within a 10 mile radius of the point you designate in your search. Once you run a location filter it stays on until you turn it off (there are switches on each category page).

An actual waymark search takes place within a particular category and only searches that category for the waymarks that it contains. At this point it's unlikely that you'll get too many results back, since there are only a few waymarks in the system right now, but in the high level categories you should get at least a couple.

All that being said, the best way to ensure you get results is to go post some waymarks in your own area!

Thanks for posting the bug.

I understand how the filter works (even if I don't understand the terminology just yet). Here's what I was trying to explain:

I was trying to use the search (filter, oops) to see if there were any categories that had waymarks near that zipcode (I may be mistaken, but it seems that if there is a category showing up in that area then obviously there are waymarks within that area and I can search within categories at that point).

When I did - it showed that particular waymark even though it said Presently there are no waymarks in the area you selected on the bottom of the waymark page.

I wouldn't think that it would return that.

I submitted my waymark visit, then after it said that the waymark had been submitted I clicked on home then attempted to use the filter. That's when the waymark came up.

If a waymark hasn't been approved, it shouldn't cause a category to show up in the filter.

Anyways, it only did that AFTER I submitted the waymark visit. It's not showing in a new search in a new window of IE. I'll log a fake visit (then delete) on another waymark to see if I can duplicate this bug.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a seperate bug or what - but I cut the filter off and then clicked on home and the url still looks like this:

http://www.Waymarking.com/?f=-1&DCTGUID=1f...68cb06&ls=39159 instead of just http://www.Waymarking.com.

I'm not sure why that waymark category is still sticking to the url. I'm using IE 6.0.2800.1106.

-----

All that being said, the best way to ensure you get results is to go post some waymarks in your own area!

I'm a bit lost on this - why would I search for waymarks that I had posted? I can access that in my profile page (or my memory). My goal was to see if other people had logged waymarks in an area.

I'm guessing that many people who search for waymarks won't care as much about categories - they'll just be curious what is available in a particular area. I'd want to filter out categories by zipcode (or county or waypoint, or whatever) to see what had already been posted so I could decide if I wanted to visit - or maybe to just see what's going on in an area.

I was pretty sure I understood what the location filter was for (still seems like a search to me). If a waymark has been logged, then the category will pop up in the filter... at least that's what I thought.

-----

On a seperate note - I'm not sure if I like or dislike that the location filter stays on when I revert to the HOME page of Waymarking. What's the purpose of this? It does seem cumbersome to do it this way. My logic (and I'll admit it's based on the GC.com webpage but I bet this will confuse others) is that clicking on home resets everything - and should clear any filters and/or searches.

At the very least, when you return to the home page - the option to filter another zipcode should be on the page without having to turn the filter off. If I filter one zipcode and then decide I want to filter another, I have to turn the filter off to start over - why not say:

Present location code: XXXXX

Search by: Postal_code/origin

Advanced Search

Postal Lookup

Instead of just "Turn filter off".

sd