Cemeteries And Burial Grounds Waypoint Proposal

I know this category has been proposed but was proposed along with a long list of categories which may hamper the voting for any one of those categories. I believe Cemeteries and Burial Grounds are an interest to many history buffs and various hobbyists. Buzz40

I believe Cemeteries and Burial Grounds are an interest to many history buffs and various hobbyists

I agree, in particular old "Grave yards" hold a lot of historic content for people involved with genealogy. Here in Ireland we have so many small, very old Cemeteries located in the most usual places that date back hundreds of years. I support this category.

I know a lot of family history buffs who would be delighted to know the locations --with waypoints no less-- of some of the old, abandoned cemeteries in this area. Many are "lost" to historians, and others have only very vague directions.

We would have to be careful not to encourage others to tresspass on private property, though. Indiana law allows relatives to visit a cemetery on private property once a year to tend graves. Other states likely have different laws.

This would be great for those of us who are history buffs or who do geneology. I would like to see it sub-categorized though by state and county (country too?) to be useful rather than just a long random list of cemeteries. There are four cemeteries found on my grandfather's land in Kansas, for example, that I would like to find the coordinates for and document in such a list. This could be a useful research tool if done by county. It would be helpful if the list contributer could include as much history about the cemetery as they could find out--date founded, oldest grave markers, any historical events associated with that cemetery, etc.