Category Proposal: Festivals/fairs

Here's one that's a little different, but I don't know if it would be accepted because the targets would have a permanent location, but only specific dates they could be visited.

I think it would be interesting to have a category for festivals, fairs, and other annual events that people could attend.

The target log requirements could include location, dates, attractions, admission prices, favorite aspect of the event, pictures, etc.

For example, in my hometown we just last week held our annual Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally. It draws thousands of people from all over the country to the hot air balloon activities and to celebrate our local specialty food. While it only takes place one weekend a year, it occurs year after year. If you attend, you could log your visit!

There is endless possiblity for subcategories -- local and county fairs, festivals of various themes (food, film, founders day, the list goes on and on....). Even something like Fourth of July fireworks displays could be included.

I think it'd be interesting to share the targets, read the logs of peoples' experiences at the event, and even possibly use the write note function to coordinate plans ahead of time with to meet with other attendees or even offer simple advice like where to park, etc.

EDIT: On further reflection, maybe there could be a root directory for events, because I wouldn't know if it would be appropriate to include such a category under people, places, or things. Then Festival and Fairs and other event categories could be included.

Other events could be something similar in that they only occur at specific times (whether it be annually, monthly, weekly, etc.). Categories could include Festivals and Fairs, Civic and Military (Where did you serve? Did you vote today? Presidential visits, etc.), and I'm sure dozens of others. Temporary museum exhibits that travel from museum to museum.

Edited by Bear Paughs

I like the idea of a list of festivals that occur at a particular time every year like the Olathe Sweet Corn Festival in Colorado which occurs the first weekend in August every year or Lakefest in Marble Falls, TX etc. There are hundreds of these and there could be subcategories but I would find it very useful and something that you don't find in GC.com because of the temporary nature of the festival. I am thinking subcategories would be nice too like State Fairs and Chili Cookoffs, Bluegrass Festivals, Hot Air Balloon Festivals etc. Could be very useful for people that are retired and travel around. I hope something along this line happens.