Explorist 600 Altimeter

I got an Explorist 600 last week and wondering if anyone else has this problem.

The altimeter reads currently 25.28 inHg. Current altimter is 30.03. This has never worked right. Second unit with the same problem so I'm assuming it is not isolated but doing a search, I can't find anyone else that has posted the problem.

Is there a fix or just ignore? Also read something about hidden menus. How do you get to them and what type of information is there?

Thanks!

The altimeter reads currently 25.28 inHg. Current altimter is 30.03. This has never worked right.

A little more information would be helpful such as the approximate elevation of your location and the source of the 30.03 inHg value. Note that weather reports provide normalized pressure readings, i.e. the pressure that it would be if you were at sealevel. That way readings from different locations can all be compared to indicate just the effects of weather patterns without having to worry about the elevation differences.

I still have to buy my explorist 600, but have experience with a suunto wristop with a barometer/altimeter. Have you tried setting the altitude to the altitude at which you currently are? It might solve the problem. Otherwise the explorists barometer works differently then my suunto. I should hope not.

Good luck,

Arjen

:) sorry peter I send you an email instead of posting a reply on this forum. Wrong button in the haste.

Edited by arie1
I'm at 5100 feet.  Fort Huachuca, Arizona.  My house is about 5120 feet according to the topo map. 

Thanks for the code!  I'll give it a try as soon as I get home.  Also, I used weather.com and put in my zip.

Your GPS is reporting the ambient barometric pressure, just like it is supposed to. Changing it using the code you were given will not work.

The other pressure you cited is quite clearly normalized to sea level. If the pressure at 5100 feet was ever 30 inches Hg, there would be a global catastrophe!

You can estimate what the normalized sea-level pressure is pretty easily. The (very inaccurate) rule of thumb is about 1 in Hg per 1000 feet, so for a sea-level pressure of 30 inches, you would expect to be seeing about 25 inches at your elevation.

Unfortunately, to calculate the sea-level pressure more accurately, you need to include the temperature and relative humidity, and things get considerably more complicated.

If you want to know the barometer reading corrected to sealevel for your area, I see you have an airport nearby, call them and they will tell you as they have to give pilots that reading. I should have told you, I got my reading off my weather station, which shows sealevel and location pressure.....I also send weather reports every 3 hrs. when at work on ship, and all our data is sealevel. On the weather channel, if they show you a map with the isobars ( rings that go around a L or H, each ring is 4mb. SO...if they show the pressure in the center, count the number of rings away from center you are and add 4mb for each ring.