Why No Dnf Log On Locationless?

ibycus

Just wondering why there is no DNF log type on a locationless? There have been several times when I've been really close to finding a locationless, but for whatever reason, didn't quite manage to meet the criteria (like my palindrome that I was .001 minutes off the right location). These trips can still have good stories associated with them, and are worthy of record. I know I can log a note (and I do), but somehow a DNF seems more appropriate for me.

A DNF is primarily used as a maintainence log.

Huh?!?? If you couldn't find it, how'd you possibly know it needs maintenance?

I can remember a person who couldn't find an event location. She was baffled to not be able to log a 'did not find' so explained why she was logging a note.

Around here Notes are used for maintenance or "still working on the cache" 'cause a note doesn't pertain to finding/not finding.

Nobody would claim a DNF for a maintenance log! Oh, wait, is it supposed to be DNM for "did need maintenance"?

I'm sorry but was also baffled when DNF's on event pages was removed.

Enjoy,

Randy

DNF's should be allowed for events too. I DNF'ed one event a few years back that I helped setup. On event day, I broke down on the freeway about 10 miles from the event. DNF logs were allowed back then, so I posted it.

I don't think your example applies. Just like a normal cache, if you broke down on the freeway and never reached the cache site, that's not a DNF as you never actually got a chance to look for it. It may be an interesting story to share but its not a DNF. Now if you got to the site of the event, at the right coordinates and right time and nobody was there, and nobody else showed up, that would be a DNF.

edit: fixed spelling.

Edited by Blanston12
A DNF is primarily used as a maintainence log.

Huh?!?? If you couldn't find it, how'd you possibly know it needs maintenance?

I didn't find it.

Someone else didn't find it.

Oh? Hmm.. Maybe it disappeared. Let me do some maintainence on it.

I didn't find it.

Someone else didn't find it.

Oh? Hmm.. Maybe it disappeared. Let me do some maintainence on it.

I can see where you're commin' from, but at least around here, that isn't how it generally goes.

More to the point, notes are normally used for things like "My car broke down on the freeway and I couldn't make it, looks like y'all had a blast", basically for cases where there is a story, but no real attempt at finding it. When there is an attempt, but no find, then you ummm, did not find it...

A DNF on an event would be something along the lines of actually not being able to physically find the event