Geocaching In The Middle East

Cav Scout

I thought I'd just jump in here. First, be thankful for the sunny days you are having. Rainy season is fast approaching and it is the pits. It may not rain often but when it does it pours and everything is mud (think quicksand). It does cool down and you will freeze even though the temps are in the 50s. The replacements that show up in the winter will laugh at you until they get to experience it!

If you need/want something, here is a POC for Operation Kool-aide in Kuwait. SSG Cindy DeVaughn//1993rd PSD//APO AE 09330//alternate POC SGT Mike Caldwell//same address They are there to not only do their military mission but have volunteered to help send care packages to remote/northern based soldiers. (At least that's how I started it and I assume it continues following those guidelines.) I know that they just got or will receive shortly about 70lbs of magazines donated by our local Harley Owners Group. Plenty to share with fellow bikers or anyone wanting to know about bikes! I also know that they get lots of regular care packages too. Just drop them a line. This effort was started by Where's George and is open to anyone.

Good luck!

Terri

:huh: Thanks!

For those of you who like to keep up on what I'm doing, my Troop and I are doing good. Patrols and guard duty in Mosul is going smooth. I've looked at a few spots to hide a cache but have decided against hiding one until I move to another FOB. The area I'm in is still to dangerous to be poking around looking for a ammo can. Perhaps after 11 Sept, the local Ramadan holiday, and the elections I will hide a cache then. The weather here is getting cooler and not as hot in the middle of the day like in the last few weeks.

I sure do miss geocaching in the states :blink:

I've been walking the streets of Mosul with my Scout platoons. I usually observe what my Scouts do and help provide security. I see Iraqi children all the time and they love the American Soldiers. I love kids too and I always give out any change in my pockets or I hand out candy. I have come to be known as "Mister" and the kids come running from all directions when thet see me. I am looking for donations of any type as handouts to the Iraqi kids. Small toys or stuffed animals (beanie baby size or smaller) would be great. If you are interested email me with any questions or send gifts to the address in this forum.

Thanks

Hi Cav Scout:

Glad you are doing well over there.

RLTW did PedalPushin's 4 Way - The Mystery of the Lost Reindeer yesterday. I think you would have liked it since it required several different navigation techniques to find the cache.

The Fall colors are peaking here, so it's real pretty.

The fall colors here are brown and it matches my uniform :grin: . Its still hitting 90 degrees during the day now. Much cooler compared to when I arrived in Iraq B) .

I've located two other fellow geocachers here in Iraq, there are also two hidden caches on the FOB here. Any chance of getting a cachemachine event going here in Iraq? Any takers? I can save a room for you in the palace if interested. We have a good DFAC too.

Edited by Cav Scout