What Are These New Poi Files?

jcc123

Looking at the "what's new" section of Garmin's web site I see that they now have POI files for both land and sea. What exactly are these? Can they co-exist with other Maps that you download? As I recall, you use to have to choose between these POI's or your map sets.

Edited by jcc123

Maybe personalized point of interest save by the user, same as waypoint but integrated to POI menu. not sure though. Like if i saw a shell gas station or a photo cop , I can just add them to the POI database.

Edited by AWGD8

i have a support request in to garmin about this - i think these poi's are only relevant to some of their new units - 2720, quest 2, c340 etc - that support custom poi's.

i've been trying to find out if this functionality can be utilized on my 60cs - either today or perhaps through a future firmware update.

should have a response in the next or two.

from Garmin website:

POI Loader allows you to load custom points of interest into your unit. The input files can be downloaded from the internet or you can create your own. With POI Loader, you can configure the unit to alert you when you are within a certain distance of a point or if you are driving over a certain speed near a point; perfect to warn you about upcoming schools zones and redlight and speed cameras. The unit will also allow you to search for and navigate to the loaded points of interest.

only works with the following units:

Street pilot 2720, C320, C330, C340, I2 , I3 and IQueM3

KINDDA` like the proximity alarm on the 60C AND 60CS but

integrates with the POI custome database (I wonder what is the customPOI limit?)

unlike our 60c PROXIMITY ALARM that only integrates with waypoints that we

created minus the downside of less than 15 waypoints that can only be set on the

Proximity Alarm menu.

hope this one helps...

Edited by AWGD8