Download Selected Caches As .gpx Instead Of .loc

Bob Blaylock

.GPX files have much more detail in them than .LOC files.

Currently, it seems to me that the only way to get .GPX files is either via a Pocket Query, or else by clicking the .GPX icon on an individual cache page.

When I do any cache search, there are checkboxes along the side I can use to select certain caches; and then, when I have selected a bunch, I can click a button near the bottom of the search results to download a .LOC of all the selected caches.

I'd like to be able to similarly download a .GPX of all the selected caches, with all the detail that .GPX files contain.

The pat answer will be:

Download a PQ for the whole search, set a filter in GSAK to get the same results and export the GPX. This is what I currently do. Then I export the GPX and load it in ExpertGPS and do my map study prior to caching. Once I've got that done, I recheck my filter, export to a Cachemate database and toss it on the Palm.

Cost?

$29 for GSAK

$59 for ExpertGPS

$200 for the Palm (though only a percentage can be attributed for caching since I use it for a myriad of other things)

$8 for Cachemate

$3/month for premium member access to the PQ.

(prices for GSAK/ExpertGPS are guesses at what I paid)

All that said, I would also like the ability to do a multi-cache download off a normal search page without going through the steps of creating a PQ. Or, for that matter, sending an entire PQ to my box when I only need the six of the first dozen caches. I think that providing GPX selective download from the PQ query page would be useful for people travelling to places they don't need a full PQ for.

VW

The pat answer will be:

Download a PQ for the whole search, set a filter in GSAK to get the same results and export the GPX. This is what I currently do. Then I export the GPX and load it in ExpertGPS and do my map study prior to caching. Once I've got that done, I recheck my filter, export to a Cachemate database and toss it on the Palm.

Cost?

$29 for GSAK

$59 for ExpertGPS

$200 for the Palm (though only a percentage can be attributed for caching since I use it for a myriad of other things)

$8 for Cachemate

I use basically the same technique. The actual price for GSAK is 20$ (what a bargan), I thought I paid more for ExpertGPS so I went to look up the price and VW is correct, they must have dropped his price since I purchased.

would be nice to be able to get a gpx off of a bookmark list. I doubt you could get a PQ set up that would return all the caches in some bookmark lists. They just don't fit into those parameters.. they are all hand picked.

You will. It should be in the FAQ pinned to the top of the forums.

The pat answer will be:

Download a PQ for the whole search, set a filter in GSAK to get the same results and export the GPX. This is what I currently do. Then I export the GPX and load it in ExpertGPS and do my map study prior to caching.  Once I've got that done, I recheck my filter, export to a Cachemate database and toss it on the Palm.

Cost?

$29 for GSAK

$59 for ExpertGPS

$8 for Cachemate

Or, instead of just grabbing ALL the caches in a PQ, set the PQ filters so you only get the caches you want.

Look at the PQ (if you want) in Watcher (free) and further refine your selections.

Use GPSbabel (free) to export the GPX file to your GPS, your mapping software, and your PDA.

Cost?

$30/yr for premium membership

$10-35 for a PDA off ebay that is fine for storing cache pages.

Edited by Mopar