Gps Co-ords To Online Map ?

Hello,

Often on cache listings, there is a "park at * **.***" co-ord given... this I have found to be called "degees and decimal minutes" format... which my gps likes ! <_<

I also use a PDA in the car to navigate to the parking spots... using TOMTOM5 which (as far as I can tell) cannot use co-ordinates, so I must view the road on an online map, then search it on the PDA...

Problem is, the online maps I have found only accept "DMS" co-ords !! :rolleyes:

All the cache listings do give a link to the CACHE viewed on a mapsite, but I cannot see how to get the parking onto it.

ANY help would be MOST welcome !!!

Thanks

Edited by Rooster#1

Option 1: Visit http://www.geocacheuk.com, search for your chosen cache and then view the page from there. This site adds links to Streetmap for all waypoints on the cache page.

Option 2: Visit http://benchmarks.org.uk/map.php and enter your co-ordinates

Option 3: Take the decimal part of the cordinates (e.g. with N 51 21.627 - take 0.627) and multiply by 60 to give the Seconds part (the Degrees and Minutes are straightforward - 51 and 21 respectivley in this example) and plug that in to your map

There are other options but that should be a start!

Phil

I use a PDA with Bluetooth GPS and use TT3, VitoNavigator II, Memory Map and GPXSonarsoftware. I also use GSAK on my desktop machine for the hard work. The following works for me - but there is more than one way to skin a cat!

1. In GSAK, I decide on which area I am going to do some caching in and asign it a number. Let's assume that this weekend I am going to "do" Surrey and I will call it Batch 18 (or area 18).

2. I then go into GSAK and for each cache I aim to visit I put the Batch number in the Usort column. This enables all the caches I intend to visit to be filtered. Once I have selected all the "victims" I then do the filter. I will save the filter as "Batch 18".

3. I then have a look at each cache description, by douible clicking on the cache name in GSAK, and then clicking on the "Online waypoint URL" to take me to the live GC web page. I then check that there are ni issues with the cache (disabled or archived) and then read the description to see if there is a parking area suggested. If there isn't, I then use memory Map to see if I can identify a possible parking area.

4.Let's assume I am going to do the "Derby Day" cache (GCKBRA). This has a recommended parking position at Tattenham Corner. I highlight "Derby Day" in GSAK and then click on the Waypoint menu and then Add. This brings up the "Add a waypoint..." form. I then click on the "Clone/Copy current waypoint" button. That fills out the form with the "Derby Day" data. In the "Waypoint code" text box I append "_Parking" to the code so get "GCKBRA_P". I then append "_Parking" to the name to get "Derby Day_Parking". I then put a check mark in the "Lock" field and then enter the parking co-ords in the Lat and Lon fields. I then click OK.

5. I now have another entry in GASK. You can expand the "Code" column so you can see the appended "_P"s. I then add the Batch number, in this case 18" to the "Usort" field. I then repeat (4) & (5) for any other caches to be sought.

6. I have macros set-up in GSAK to locate each batch and automatically create several export files. The following is the macro extract for Batch 18:

CANCELFILTER

FILTER Name="Batch 18"

EXPORT Type=GPX Settings="GPX Export" File="Q:\PERSONAL\Geocaching\Archive\GPX\Batch - 18"

EXPORT Type=GPX Settings="LOC Export" File="Q:\PERSONAL\Geocaching\Archive\LOC\Batch - 18"

EXPORT Type=SNT File="Q:\PERSONAL\Geocaching\Archive\CSV\Batch - 18"

EXPORT Type=POI File="Q:\PERSONAL\Geocaching\Archive\OV2\Batch - 18"

EXPORT Type=MEM File="Q:\PERSONAL\Geocaching\Archive\MemMap\Batch - 18"

What this does, is clear any previous filters and load the filter "Batch 18". It then produes export files in various directories with the name "Batch - 18".

"GPX Export" creates a GPX file that I use with GPXSonar.

"LOC Export" creates a LOC file that I use with VitoNavigator II.

"SNT" creates a CSV file that I use with MS Autoroute.

"POI File" creates OV2 files for use in TT3.

"Mem File" produces a Memory Map file for use in Memory Map.

7. Referring specifically to your question, I then copy OV2 file and corresponding BMP file, that is created, to the TT3 map directory on my PDA.

8. On the PDA, I assume this is the same for TT5, start TomTom and go to the map view. Then click "File" then "Properties" and select the "POI" tab. In the list of POIs you should see "Batch - 18". Set the check mark against it and ensure that the check mark is set against "Show points of interest" at the top of the list. Click "OK" and then move the map to the area of interest and you should see the "Batch - 18" POIs. As you zoom in, you should be able to differentiate between the cache and the cache parking spot. If you press and hold on the cache parking spot you should then be able to set it as the destination. Return to the Navigator screen and off you go!

9. I use the other export files for the various bits of software on my desktop and PDA.

I hope the above helps and makes sense. It seems to be long winded but using the excellent macro feature in GSAK it's a doddle. If you need any further help please feel free to contact me through my profile or the forum.

Happy 'caching.

Charles

If you're using a Pocket PC you could also try my free utility: OS GPS Convertor.

Navigating to co-ordinates or grid references "on-the-fly" in TomTom is one of the things I use it for.

I can vouch for OS GPS convertor, it was just what I was looking for, for ages, and you can't beat the price :rolleyes: . Thanks BandMandAandA.

Edited by dogastus

If you use the Firefox browser, you could use Greasemonkey, which adds links to OS 1:25,000 maps - details in This Thread.

If you use Internet Explorer, you can add a button to your links bar, which lets you select the WGS84 co-ords, and click the button, which links you straight to a 1:50,000 Streetmap page. The instructions for this are the 10th post in this thread.

Hope this helps.