Contradiction In Jeep Contest Rules?!

Team GeoDillo

Regarding the Jeep contest photograph specifications, the rules state:

"the photograph...cannot exceed 4 MB in size, and cannot have been manipulated, for example but not limited to, brightness or hue or contrast adjusted, sharpened or cropped, enhanced, morphed, or retouched (in any manner whatsoever)."

However, at the bottom of the page to submit your Jeep contest photo it says:

"Some Tips

If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized. It doesn't do the best resizing job.

Editing your own larger image is preferable. "

So which is it? Should I upload my 3.5 MB photo as is, with no resizing, or should I "edit my own larger image" to get it under 125k as requested?

I just want my entry to be valid and it seems that the Jeep contest rules are being contradicted by the submission page information.

I realize that's just standard boilerplate from the log pages, but I took that as an indication that, yes, you can resize it. The "doesn't do the best resizing job" worried me, so I've resized all mine to 600x...whatever goes with 600.

And then I realized, "hey, my photos haven't been very good and I haven't even voted for myself!" So there's probably nothing to worry about ;)

I can't debate contest rules that are sponsored by DaimlerChrystler. Make your own judgement call or if you like, mail them at the address at the bottom of the contest rules page.

I copy/pasted it below:

DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC,

1000 Chrysler Drive, Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766.

If there are people in my picture, they're all invisible, and I can't possibly be expected to detect super powers with my measly digital camera.  So technically...I followed the rules.  :lol:

See for yourself!

But.... where's the Hotdog?

Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie... and oh.... nevermind.

I originally had a hot dog in the picture, which was supposedly made from meat. But with the recent rash of people getting fingers and whatnot caught in machines at processing plants, I didn't want to take the chance that my picture would even remotely infringe on the rules by having anything technically "people" in the picture. You can never be too sure. Daimler/Chrysler might have a CSI department or something. :P

Does anyone really believe people are going to submit contest entries without touching them up a bit? I'm sure there will be some untouched photos but I doubt anyone who is even casually into photography would hesitate to do minor or not so minor adjustments if they're needed.

Hmph! I'm a Photoshop perfeshional, and I haven't dared touch mine. They've sucked as a result, but there you go. I'm Mama's good little rule-follower (when I want something).

Does anyone really believe people are going to submit contest entries without touching them up a bit? I'm sure there will be some untouched photos but I doubt anyone who is even casually into photography would hesitate to do minor or not so minor adjustments if they're needed.

Hmph! I'm a Photoshop perfeshional, and I haven't dared touch mine. They've sucked as a result, but there you go. I'm Mama's good little rule-follower (when I want something).

Auntie,

Is there a way--other than looking at the image pixels themselves--to tell if an image has been edited? Do Photoshop and similar apps add identifiable metadata?

Auntie,

Is there a way--other than looking at the image pixels themselves--to tell if an image has been edited? Do Photoshop and similar apps add identifiable metadata?

It puts "Photoshop" in the header in human-readable text. You can open a .jpg in Notepad and see that, usually along with your camera ID. Cameras are storing a LOT of extra data in the images now which some applications read in. The file itself would have a creation timestamp and an edit timestamp, though using Photoshop to size the image would be enough to mess that up, too. Might be other data in the header I don't know about.

I'll bet if you just upped the contrast a little or cropped it consistent with a standard size, no one would notice or care. I'm just constitutionally paranoid :D

I am keeping my unmessed with photo in my camera so I can prove I didn't change it.

How does that prove you didn't change the photo in any way? I've used my digital camera to move files, including pictures sent to me in email, from my home computer to my work computer. My digital camera never took the photos but I was still able to upload them to camera. I was even able to upload word and powerpoint files and my digital camera definitely didn't make those.