Direct Route And Explorist

Make sure that when you installed your Explorist you also installed the USB to Serial driver. This allows the signal to be appropriately converted so the GPSr and software see each other.

As embra has indicated, the GPSr needs to be set at NMEA and your laptop must have an avail COM port (thus the need for the USB to Serial driver). Once done, you'll need to make sure your GPSr is receiving adequate GPS signals otherwise DirectRoute will time out.

If all goes well, you'll eventually see a status on the bottom right corner of the DirectRoute display indicating you're connected. You'll also see an icon that looks like a triangle displayed at your current position.

That's a rough overview but should give you the basics.

THANKS. It was embras review that I saw that earlier this week. Thanks Condor I was playing with it inside last night and it was timing out and I thought it was a problem with the connection between the GPS and the laptop. Now it makes perfect sense that it was timing out because it wasnt getting a signal

The NMEA output of the eXplorists works very well. I just tried it last night for the first time. It showed my position on Streets and Trips, National Geo Topo, and worked with Visual GPS

On my XP system, I just plugged in the USB cable, set the eXlosrist to Communications>NMEA>2.1, and did the install new hardware, and it created a com5 port. Just set the programs to com 5 and they worked.

Try the Freeware VisualGPS program to see your position averaging, statistices, PDOP, etc.