60cs Base Map Hwy Exit Numbers

just got back from a 16 hour road trip. the unit worked great. even used the "find nearest exit" capabilities to find gas and food.

but for what ever reason the highway exit number on the unit was not even close to the highway exit number on the physical interstate signs. it wasnt that big of deal cause the distance to exit was right on...but why dont they match?

thanks, i figured this might be the case after looking at the numbers on the signs for 16 hours. just wanted to make sure.

i hope Garmin comes out with a new base map. you would think they might have already since this project has been going on since 2001.

thought: if the new number is generated on the distance to the state line then how would you distinguish between two highways of equal distance, one being on one side of the state and the other the opposite? guess the possibility is next to none.

thought: if the new number is generated on the distance to the state line then how would you distinguish between two highways of equal distance, one being on one side of the state and the other the opposite?  guess the possibility is next to none.

Zero at the state line is only if the Interstate crosses the state line.

Western or southern end of any Interstate is always Zero miles, in that particular state.

Edited by GOT GPS?
just got back from a 16 hour road trip. the unit worked great. even used the "find nearest exit" capabilities to find gas and food.

but for what ever reason the highway exit number on the unit was not even close to the highway exit number on the physical interstate signs. it wasnt that big of deal cause the distance to exit was right on...but why dont they match?

I noticed the same thing traveling through PA.....does using City Select correct this problem ?

The 60cs (and probably several other models) pull the exit information from the basemap.

On my eMap the default is to get the exit numbers off the basemap. But if you push MENU you can select to use the detailed downloaded maps instead. California has also been renumbering exits so the detailed maps have different numbers from the basemap.