Mystery Or Puzzle Caches

LiveStrong

Hi, I am still kind of new to geocaching. Why I am writing is because I still don’t understand how to solve Mystery or puzzle caches. I have done two with know problem but other like Fowl Play (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6a713228-c670-4c7f-b42b-dee7934fe05e) I don’t under stand at all. I am just looking for tips to make my caching days more fun. Thanks!!

LiveStrong

LiveStrong,

Ah! A local boy!

I have not attempted "Fowl Play" either. The answer to your question is that that there are many, many kinds of puzzle caches out there. Some are simple, some ain't. Give it your best shot, and if you are still stumped, send a message directly to the cache owner (through the GC.com web site), and ask for a hint.

In the meantime, if you want to try a local puzzle that is a bit easier, give this one a try.

Good luck!

A google search revealed that "Holly Short" is a character from the "Artemis Fowl" children's book series (hence the name "Fowl Play"). In one of the books a special alphabet is used for a secret message, so I guess you have to read this book or find the code table on the web.

I never heard of this before but it took me only 2 minutes to find the background information. :anicute:

Cornix

Unless the puzzle cache creator is just plain sadistic, they want the cache to be found. Maybe not immediately, but most puzzles will have some type of guidance as to the type of puzzle you're looking at.

Which means hints are usually there from the cache creator, even if they're not immediately obvious.

I'm not going to get into name-calling here. Grow up.

My point was, and remains, is that if you have a question about a puzzle cache, it's usually a better idea to ask the cache owner than to post in the forums about it.

And the poster who provided "too much information" in their post did a far worse disservice than you did anyway.

Before this escalates any further...

Puzzle Caches are ones in which there is some mental gymnastics involved to figure out a cache's coordinates. Some are easy, some are hard.

Some don't even give you a starting point. They just put some cryptic message on the cache page, and rate it five stars.

As was stated, usually if you want a SPECIFIC hint on a particular cache, write the cache owner. If they'd like you to get a hint to solve their puzzle, they'll give you one.

Yes, people want their cache found, but they may want people to go through a mental puzzle to find it. It's part of the challenge.

Now that this has been said...

Name calling and bad language violates the Forum Guidelines.

Closing this thread, all has been said.

Edited by Markwell