Gpses

Jihadacadien

Ok I need a new Gps.

And I am wondering which one should I buy??? :D

Hum...right.

Well to be honest I would say the cheap price range.

Not the cheapest...but not too expensive.

I am only starting and I have no problem getting cash later to buy a better one.

But for now I need something quick, so cheap, easy to use and....precise! I don't wanna run aroud 50 feet diameter trying to find syuff.

Just a good starter GPS.

Edited by Jihadacadien

It would help if you indicated your price range and any must have features. Is this only for caching or will you want to use it for driving directions as well? Do you care if the screen is color or greyscale etc.

[edited to add: you could just buy a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS with the street routing software and a cigarette power adaptor and not worry about it. If that solution is in your price range there is no reason to look any further. If it isn't in your price range then see the above paragraph]

[edited to add a response to your edit :D . Look at the Magellan Sportrak and Garmin Legend units. They are both 'midrange' units. Low end (but still perfectly good and accurate) would be the Magellan Explorist 100-300 and the Garmin geko. High end would be the Magellan explorist 400-600 and the Garmin GPSMAP 60 / 60CS. If you go with a mapping unit then figure the cost of the map software into the equation either today or as a future purchase.

The primary difference between the low end and midrange is mapping and data ports so you can transfer waypoints from your PC to GPS. The primary difference between mid range and high end is amount of memory for storing maps, color screens, electronic compasses and other nice, but unnecessary bells and whistles]

Edited by DaveA

There are a lot of good GPS's out there. I wanted my first GPS to have mapping abilities. I bought a SporTrak Pro which has 23 meg of ram for loading maps onto the GPS. If you want to spend more money I really like the Garmin 60C. This is a color unit with auto-routing capabilities. This, of course costs more money. The unit itself will run around $350 though I think there is a $50 rebate right now. The software will cost another $80.

A cheaper choice might be to look at a Garmin GPS V. Since it is not the latest and the greatest you can get a pretty good deal on one and it will also do auto-routing.

My first GPS was a Magellan SporTrak Pro, which is currently for sale. It is a very good unit, but will not do auto routing without a firmware upgrade and purchase of additional software. I also understand the Magellans auto-routing software is not as good as the software for the Garmin.

:laughing: