Metro Guide/city Select

My vote is for City Select. We used it on vacation in MA last year and went thru Boston, NH and ME without using any paper maps . It's great for when you're heading back to the hotel and get hungry. Just do a find for the nearest restaurant and it goes to work. Found some great places to eat that way. We also used the autorouting feature for spur of the moment side trips.

We are going to Toronto this year, and stopping in Buffalo / Niagara falls on the way back. I have found it useful to find and save our destinations (hotels, attractions, etc.) ahead of time in City Select, then upload to my 60cs. That way, I can get a route from wherever we happen to be, with out having to "plan" the route ahead of time.

Just a hint, if you have a lot of caches loaded into your gps, they will show up as waypoints when you route on your gps. I ran a pocket query of 250 or so, and loaded them into my gps. I tried to route to a waypoint later and ended up doing a lot of scrolling. I ended up deleteing the waypoints out of the gps, and reloading my saved ones from Mapsource. It also works the other way, if you're out and about and find someplace you want to waypoint, and decide to download to city select, all the caches come with it, so your waypoint list gets really long. I emailed Garmin to see if there was a way to selectively download waypoints from the gps but support said no there wasn't. They also said they would pass it on to whoever does the mapsource updates, so maybe I'll see it in the future.

Good luck on whichever choice you make. It took me awhile to get the hang of using Mapsource, but I'm the type who still likes paper manuals and won't go to the help button until I'm ready to tear my hair out.

This has been debated a bit in the past.

City Select for all Autorouting handhelds, and MetroGuide for all older GPS units with plenty of memory.

City Select will properly work with Freeway Ramps, but MetroGuide will just tell you to turn left from I-69 to I-75 for instance. I have MetroGuide 5.0 on my older Map76S Greyscale Screen GPS unit.

Edited by GOT GPS?