Garmin Vista C Vs. 60cs

In trying to determine which GPS to upgrade to from a Garmin Summit, I've been considering primarily the iFinder Hunt or the Garmin 60CS. For several reasons I've decided to forgo the iFinder but now am trying to decide if the 60CS is really more appealing than the Vista C. I'm familiar with the "obvious" differences between these two units. Small size is important, and the 24 megs should be more than enough for my use. An accurate compass and unit durability are important, though, and that leads to my questions:

I've read repeatedly in this forum that the helix performs better when vertical and the patch performs better when horizontal. In response to some problems with the 60CS, some posters advise holding that model vertically to avoid poor reception believed to frequent horizontal use. It seems like the unit would have to be held somewhat horizontally to enable the compass arrow to point correctly. Could one argue that the Vista C has any sort of an edge because of this? (A subquestion: Does the "hold the helix unit vertically" advice have any scientific merit to it? Holding the patch horizontally makes sense due to the antenna's placement within the unit, but it seems like the helix should function equally well upright or horizonally, with minor reception variances related more to satellite/obstruction position.)

Also, the joystick seems a little suspect to me. Has anyone had any problems with either its sensitivity or durability?

Thanks for your help.

I never had a problem with my Joystick over 3+ years with two eTrex units. Some people have reported problems but with all the eTrex's out there I'm sure they are in the minority.

I've read repeatedly in this forum that the helix performs better when vertical and the patch performs better when horizontal. In response to some problems with the 60CS, some posters advise holding that model vertically to avoid poor reception believed to frequent horizontal use. It seems like the unit would have to be held somewhat horizontally to enable the compass arrow to point correctly

Under very difficult conditions this can be an issue. I find that I have to hold the unit vertically to get a lock, then horizontally for the compass to work properly. The vast majority of the time however it isn't an issue.

A subquestion: Does the "hold the helix unit vertically" advice have any scientific merit to it?
I've never run any scientific tests but empirical evidence shows that it gets best reception held vertically. If you look at a quad helix antenna you can see why. If you hold it horizontally, half of it is facing the ground.

That antenna question is a good one, and I'd like to know other peoples thoughts on that too. I have an iFinder Pro that has a patch antenna, and I just don't see ANY difference in reception despite how I hold it.. meaning, reception is GREAT wether I hold it upright, flat, upsidedown, even upright in an inside coat pocket while motorcycling/snowmobiling..

Maybe different brands work differently?

Regarding the eTrek joystick -- I owned an eTrek Vista for 14 months (since March of 2004.)

The "click-stick" started to become flaky for "right/left" movement after 11 months, and stopped working after 13 months. The unit was well-cared for, and was not subject to abuse to make the click-stick stop working.

I have returned the unit under extended warranty for a replacement.

Personally, I think the style of "joystick" on the GPSMAP 72/76 series is less likely to fail.

I owned a Vista C for 6 months before upgrading to a 60CS. At the time, I was very happy with the performance of the Vista C, but I wanted more storage capability for maps on long hikes. If you are not concerned with the amount of maps you can store on the unit, you will be happy with the Vista C. Both units locked on well with +/- 8-12 ft. accuracy, but the Vista C with patch ant. lost signals for me in wooded areas of Yosemite from time to time. It was not that big of a deal, since it would regain a signal once in the open areas on the trail. The Quad Helix on the 60 CS works at all angles and under tree canopy for me. Hope this helps in your decision.