Earthmate Laptop Gps Systems

Hey guys I am looking at the Eartmate lt20 laptop gps system. Has anyone used this system? I was wondering how it does on the road. I cannot afford a $400 system right now. I have a good laptop and the room to place it when i am traveling. But am not sure if it will be what i need. I do not plan on Geocacheing eyt. I am doing alot of camping and plan on going to Michigan,florida and the Grand Canyon in the next year. I have seen the eartmate system going for $100 or less here in Va. with the software. Because the price is so less than a normal handheld and itt comes with the software which is extra on the others i am leary of it.

Thanks for any help

I have the predecessor to the LT20, the plain Earthmate. For use with a laptop, it's great. Lock on is usually pretty quick and it holds lock fairly well.

No mapping software is perfect, so if you're looking for perfection, you're in for a disappointment, no matter which you buy. One nice advantage of Delorme's Street Atlas is that you can draw routable roads and save them in a draw layer. So if there's a road near you that's missing, or a "broken road" you can fix it. I have a couple new roads near my (and some soon to open ones) and I've driven them, recording my tracks, and drawn the roads in using the tracklog. Pretty nice feature. I'll be getting to those "soon to open" whenever the contractors finish up. <_<