Permission To Plant

I have had a plan to plant a cache which involves a swim for some time now. However, the day before going out to gather info etc the new rules where posted stating that permission was needed before planting from now on. I wrote to the land owners but have heard nothing back. To be honest I don't blame them, what landowner in their right mind is going to recieve a letter asking for permission to place a treasure hunt box on their land which involves entering the river that runs through their fields etc.

My question: Are there circumstances where you can just get away with placing something like this?

I'm in complete agreement that seeking permission is the way it should be, but I like planting caches with a difference and am starting to wonder how this is possible anymore. People are generally not going to be up for funny business on their land.

If I find a pond, adjacent to a footpath, running through land that is not apparently anyones inparticular, is this acceptable?

I'd love an answer so I can get on with planting this nightmare of a cache :D:ph34r:

The trouble with asking such a question on the forums is that you're more likely to get the reply 'certainly not, you should have permission for all caches'. These are the people most likely to speak up on the issue.

Cachers that would do it anyway and see what happens are far less likely to admit it on a public forum :ph34r:

Edited by Pengy&Tigger