Adopting Caches

I have an issue that I need some advice on.

There are 2 people that I worked with at my last institution that were both Geocachers. Sadly, they have both passed away, 1 to cancer, and another in a car accident.

They both have active caches still out there, and I would hate to see them get archived because they are unavailible to respond to e-mails.

The problem is twofold:

First, they are not around to "give" the cache to me. I don't know how the cache adoption process works, but From other threads I am under the impression that the owner has to give you the cache.

Second, at least 3 of the 7 caches in question are well out of state, I would not be able to do any on-site maintanence. I would at least be available to answer e-mails and keep an eye on it. One of them is a virtual, and requires a code word to be e-mailed for a log, right now, there is obviously no way to get a comfirmation for the find.

What can or should I do?

Adoptions can still be processed in situations where the original owner cannot be involved, for whatever the reason. I am assisting right now with adoptions for multiple caches placed by a geocacher who passed away. It is a sensitive process and working with the volunteer reviewer for the area where the caches are hidden is a good way to proceed. Enlisting the help of local geocachers (either as adoptive owners or as local cache maintainers) is another good thing to do. Finally, have you asked the family what their wishes are? They may want the caches continued in memory of their relative, or they may prefer for them to be archived. Follow the family's wishes if at all possible.