Deciding Between Vista And Explorist Or Meridian

I am deciding between a Garmin Vista, Magellan Explorist 400, or a Magellan Meridian series GPS.

Please help me decide.

Which is best for loading information?

Which has best maps? Preloaded or for purchase?

Why do you recommend this?

Edited by mcl143

It depends on what your primary and secondary uses are -- geocaching, backpacking, cycling, boating, car navigation, etc.

Give us a bit more info so we can better answer your question. Also, do already own any other GPSr's and mapping software? If so, let us know that too.

Edited by tubemonkey

I currently own a Gecko 101. My primary goal is to have a good GPS for geocaching and hiking. Traveling diredtions would be my secondary goal. I really want something pretty versatile, that I am able to download waypoints and have an accurate direction even if standing still. Not sure if all the Magellan units have this or not. I know the Vista does.

My two cents worth.

I looked at the same models. I read these forums and other sources for reviews.

My conclusion is:

The color units seem to come out on top as better because a) they are in color, :) they are newer units/designs with better reception. This adds $50 to $100 to the overall cost. It is said the maps are easier to read in color. Additional memory also adds to the overall cost. (ie Legend C vs Vista C).

I studied the Vista C, Legend C, and eXplorist models. Only the 500 and 600 eXplorist models have color. I also considered the GPSMap 60 CS. The Garmin units with "S" indicate sensors which is a barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

I am leaning very hard to the eXplorist 600. It is color, has the sensors (bells and whistles), is about the same cost as Garmin after rebates, and most importantly for me it has expandable memory. The barometer and thermometer function is a bonus as I have often wished I had them for when camping/hunting in the fall. (I don't always believe the weatherman). It also boasts a 14 parallel channel receiver. Some of the posts I have read indicate that these units hold lock better under tree cover.

I currently own a Magellan 4000XL, an older unit for sure, with only a 2 channel receiver. I have been very happy with its performance and durability. I did discover its liabilities when used along side a friends eTrex yellow. The thing I didn't care for with this unit was the icons and the difficulty in manually entering waypoints.

Garmin or Magellan, both are very good receivers.

USB loads faster than Serial. Serial is not available on some of the newer computers. There is a way around this. Serial is needed if you are outputing information to other devices.

The maps seem to both have there issues, the Magellan maps I have found are usually less money.

Edited by burt