Introduction Letter

Does anyone have any examples of introductory letters that I could send to an organisation that owns land where I would like to place a cache please?

I'd like to explain what caching is about and what impact it would have on the area.

What do other cachers include in their letters/emails?

Thanks

Here's one I used which was successful for an LNR;

My wife and I take part in the new sport of Geocaching (www.geocaching.com, www.gagb.org.uk & www.geocacheuk.com) and would like to know if you have considered a policy for the placing of Geocache's on xxxx Council land?

"Geocaching is a fairly new pastime to sweep it's way across the UK. Often likened to a "treasure hunt" geocaching is an enjoyable way to enjoy the great countryside and get out into the fresh air and away from the TV/PC or whatever. Many find that it is a gentle and easy way to get some exercise and the kids love it too. The real "treasure" in geocaching though, is the location, enjoying nature, the countryside and getting there."

Here is a Geocache listing near to where we live http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...uid=xxxxxxxxxxx to give you an idea of the kind of thing we are talking about.

Many landowners welcome the sport onto their property as it increases the foot traffic into what is normally a business enterprise and Geocachers are generally a very respectful bunch. Geocaching also encourages 'Cache IN Trash OUT' (CITO) which urges cachers to remove litter whilst out on their hunts and they even provide CITO bin bags for the use of! We regularly have CITO events whereby a group of cachers set a date to get together at a particular area and endeavour to find all of the caches in that area whilst collecting trash on the way. I stress that these gatherings are low-key and small (around 10 people) so landowners need not be worried about a hoard of people descending on their land and causing safety concerns.

Many councils are now supporting the sport and several have issued guidelines such as http://www.hants.gov.uk/geocaching/guidelines.html.

We have a specific DCC site where we would like to place a cache and by the laws of the sport we seek permission to do so.

If you would like further information or assistance on preparing your own guidelines we would also be delighted to help.

Yous blah blah blah.........

I did well with this one to the Forestry Commission:

Dear Ms Calver

My name is Paul Smith and I'm an enthusiastic geocacher. If you're not familiar with this fast growing sport, it's essentially a high-tech treasure hunt game for GPS users. I'm currently looking to place a series of these geocaches - basically small boxes containing a logbook to be signed by finders, and some low value items to be swapped - along the length of the Ridgeway from Ivinghoe Beacon to the M40. Hale Wood near Wendover is a stretch I've identified as being the sort of area I'd like to place one and I'm writing to you to see if this would be possible. I envisage the cache being hidden under tree litter or an old stump within a few feet of the Ridgeway.

I'm not sure what the FCs position is on this sport but I can assure you that with accurate co-ordinates and a clear clue that there would be minimal impact on the woodland environment. Indeed, geocaching encourages responsible use of the countryside as well as promoting 'CITO' events. This 'Cache In, Trash Out' ethos is intended to help get litter removed from areas where geocaches are hidden, as a positive benefit to those who agree to have a cache hidden on their land.

For more information about geocaching please visit http://www.geocaching.com

Any feedback on this recreational use of Hale Wood would be greatly appreciated. One objection which is sometimes raised is one of public liability insurance and I'd like to add that every geocache page has a disclaimer which specifically says cachers pursue the hobby at their own risk. I can't imagine that approving a cache on FC land would expose you to any danger of litigation, in the event of an unlikely accident.

I hope you can help me bring a few more people to this beautiful and peaceful corner of Buckinghamshire.

Kind regards,

Paul Smith