Standings

I had a chuckle earlier when I read a post that started 'I cached with the number three cacher in the world'.  I bet that the referenced cacher doesn't see himself as the 'number three cacher', but as the luckiest person in the world.  He's found a hobby that he loves and (likely) he gets to do it often.  Great for him.

Actually, he is quite proud of his achievement. He wears his red badge, stating his rank to all the geo events.

Well, I can say for certain that the number 1 ranked cacher doesn't flaunt her status. She's just like the rest of us - a very nice person who's into caching. I don't think I've ever even heard her mention ranks, and rarely does she even mention numbers. She does it for fun, like the rest of us... except I think she does it 7 days a week. I know she's got at least 2000 finds in the time it took me to hit 200. But talking to her, you'd never know it. If there's any kind of "celebrity status" in the caching world, CCCA has it. But when we're all sitting in a room talking about caching, the only noticeable difference between her and the newbies is she's got a lot more stories to tell. :angry:

I've attended a lot of event caches and I've met a lot of cachers who only know how to talk about geocaching and numbers. I find myself gravitating toward the people who have other interests as well and those who can talk about stuff other than geocaching or how many caches they've found.

I remember the first time I met CCCA and her daughter. They joined our table at a potluck. Everyone knew who they were but we didn't talk about caching once. The conversation drifted to families, pets, jobs, other hobbies, school, and non-geocaching dream vacations.