Pocket Queries on a PC

ScottAS36

I've seen several mention of Pocket Queries and as I understand it,one of their uses is that they are useful for specialized sorting of caches.

Am I correct in thinking that PQ are designed for PDAs? Is it possible to use them on a PC? I would like to play around with them but have no plans to purchase a PDA.

Scott

A pocket query is just a quicker and easier way of sorting out caches and downloading them to you. If you didn't do the pocket query thing, then you would have to go through each page and select the ones for you to dwonlaod and then do that for each page. PQ's make it a lot easier. I set mine for the closest 400 caches (regular and multis) and later I get an email with the file. I can download this PQ to my GPS (no entering coordinates by hand), and to programs like EasyGPS and ExpertGPS. There are other programs you can use as well. It depends on how you want to use the PQ. Trust me I didn't see the need in a PDA and PQ's and all that when I began. Depending on the type of caching and how involved you are in it will make the difference. I use my wife's pocket pc. It's so much nicer having the cache pages in it than printing out pages and taking them. Especially if you do several at a time or if you are traveling and decide to cache. If you decided to go to NYC tomorrow, you could set up a PQ for that area with specifics of the types of caches. It will be sent to you in about 30 minutes or so. It will take about 2-3 minutes to download to the pocket pc and the gps. Then you are all set. Otherwise, you will need to look up the caches and download them and then print out the pages. In the time it would take you to do a handful manually, you could have 500 already to go.

But the answer to your question, is no, you don't have to have a PDA for PQ's to be beneficial. You can still download them to your GPS and use them with other software.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Pocket Queries in GPX format contain lots of cache-related data and enhance (compared to .loc files) display of Geocaches in QuakeMap. Just drag and drop your Pocket Query file (unzipped) on QuakeMap window and hover the mouse over caches.

See http://www.earthquakemap.com/pages/screenshots/GeocachesDetail.jpg - this is how much information is available on PC from a PocketQuery

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...