Watchlist Errors

twjolson & Kay

The last two days, I've gotten errors in the emails I've gotten from the watchlist. One was a cache on my watchlist, but it was a find from January, before I even signed up and started geocaching! The other is from a cache that was found recently but the cache hasn't been on my watchlist for sometime now.

Anyone else getting this?

Does GC.com know, and/or are fixing them?

One was a cache on my watchlist, but it was a find from January, before I even signed up and started geocaching!

This could be easily explained. If someone just got around to logging a forgotten January find (and backdated it to the actual date) you would certainly get the e-mail. Sometimes it's a new Cacher account by someone that had previously been included in their parents logs. When they get older they often want to create their own identity and record. All backdated of course. You could easily receive logs that seem years out of date, instead of merely months.

The other is from a cache that was found recently but the cache hasn't been on my watchlist for sometime now.

I can not offer an explanation for this. Is this is an active Cache? Did you check to see if there have been other recent logs that were NOT e-mailed to you? Did you check to be sure that the Cache Page does not indicate you are watching it?

The other is from a cache that was found recently but the cache hasn't been on my watchlist for sometime now.

I can not offer an explanation for this. Is this is an active Cache? Did you check to see if there have been other recent logs that were NOT e-mailed to you? Did you check to be sure that the Cache Page does not indicate you are watching it?

A possible explanation for this: do you have this cache in a Bookmark list, and is the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" box checked? If so, you'd get emails for it even if it's not on your regular Watchlist.

One was a cache on my watchlist, but it was a find from January, before I even signed up and started geocaching!

This could be easily explained. If someone just got around to logging a forgotten January find (and backdated it to the actual date) you would certainly get the e-mail. Sometimes it's a new Cacher account by someone that had previously been included in their parents logs. When they get older they often want to create their own identity and record. All backdated of course. You could easily receive logs that seem years out of date, instead of merely months.

Could be, although this cacher isn't new or anything, but maybe they were just logging the find now. Why an experienced cacher would be logging a find this late, I don't know, but it's possible. I think it's more likely it's a bug in the system personally though.

A possible explanation for this: do you have this cache in a Bookmark list, and is the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" box checked? If so, you'd get emails for it even if it's not on your regular Watchlist.

I'm not a premimuim member, so I don't have bookmarks, not that I know of anyways.

I haven't been messing around with watchlists. Is it possible you have a second account that is watching the listing?

I'd need to know the listing so I can check the db.

No second account, just this one.

The caches were:

"Cache with a view" (GCMZM6) the log date is January 14 and the log is by gargath

(I do have this cache on my watchlist, but I wasn't even signed up in Jan. Proposed earlier it could be a late logging.)

"Winter Wonderland 2" (GCM0G4) the log date is May 23 by jeepand5kids

(This cache was on my watchlist, but hasn't been since the 15th or so)

If there is a bug in the system, I hope this helps.