Newbie!

Cache Squirrel

Cache Squirrel -

Five for five on your first day - a very good start. And I note that three of your finds were "first time finds" (for Geocaching). Very well done.

I hope you realize that you are exposing your daughter to an addictive activity. Fortunately, it's a healthy and educational addiction.

Welcome to the community. Hope you have many more good days.

Will

CS -

Common problem - there are gazillions of benchmarks that are not in the Geocaching database, and a few less than a gazillion that are not in the NGS database (because the NGS has been adding benchmarks to its database while the Geocaching database has been/remains static).

When I find a mark that doesn't seem to be in the Geocaching database, I record its coordinates and run a radial search on those coordinates. If no likely looking mark shows up in the Geocaching database, I do a radial search in the NGS database. Occasionally the mark shows up, usually it doesn't. That is, it usually turns out to be a "no-PID".

If the mark is not in the Geocaching database, you can append its info to the nearest mark with a PID, but you cannot log it as found.

Bummer.

Will

p.s. alternatively, you can search the NGS database by "designation", i.e. 5902 C

Edited by seventhings
USPSQD strikes again!!

And it was found by one of our brand-new participants!

I know we agreed not to bash and trash the PSQD, but it's difficult not to have a little fun at their expense, occasionally. :unsure:

-Paul-

The disc just has 5902 C, The discription sounds like it is the right one but I was just wondering on the designation. Thanks.

CS:

Looks right to me. By the way, congrats on getting nine finds in a two-day period--including Mother's Day!

-Paul-

WARNING. This vehicle breaks for benchmarks.

Yes, addiction has set in. Doesn't it feel good? Don't fight it. :-)

You Might be Addicted to Benchmarking If:

1) You think, "I could squeeze one or two in Saturday morning before anyone else gets up."

2) You say: "Hon, haven't you always wanted a metal-detector for Christmas?" You think: "YES!"

3) You get really teed-off when Team Tuxawuxa or PFF log a benchmark right before you.

4) "Hey, kids, who wants to go to the Hoover Dam this summer?"

5) It's a 3 hour drive each way to the nearest PID you haven't found.

6) Cheryl and Deb at NGS put your email address in their spam-blockers.

Edited by BuckBrooke

:mad:

That's great, speaking of the Hoover Dam, I'm going to Vegas in November. I guess I'll be dragging the family out to see the benchmarks...ah, I mean sights. ;)

Oh, I also forgot to mention I also found the Cape May water tower on Sunday, just logged it in.

Bye

-CS

Edited by Cache Squirrel