Changing Internal Battery

Hey guys (gals),

need some advice from someone who knows anything about Eagle GPS's. I bought one off of Ebay for $25 (couldnt resist that price!) and am curious if I can change the internal battery myself.

Im not sure if its dead yet... the seller claims it works fine, but the unit is pretty old (1997) and im sure the battery is on its last legs.

Any ideas? Thanks :(

If you look through this topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...76&hl=globalmap

close to the end you'll find posts by "n7yaf" and "hgmonaro". Ask them. They were able to replace back-up batteries in GlobalNav GPSrs which are, I believe, close the same units you bought (all Eagle GPSr's were made by Lowrance).

Another good place to get information on all Lowrance units is Yahoo! iFinder groop:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps/

Good luck with your Eagle!

Hey guys (gals),

need some advice from someone who knows anything about Eagle GPS's. I bought one off of Ebay for $25 (couldnt resist that price!) and am curious if I can change the internal battery myself.

Im not sure if its dead yet... the seller claims it works fine, but the unit is pretty old (1997) and im sure the battery is on its last legs.

Any ideas? Thanks B)

Was that the one up there with the couple dead lcd lines on the display? If so, I may have put a bid on that one as well! Can't remember, i was watching it at very least. It was a good deal.

So far i snagged 2 explorers from ebay for my mapping "project" - but i just wanted to thank Hoary for the link to that battery replacing thread. I think that might come in rather handy sooner or later :(

Are you talking about that seller from kansas? If so, thats not the one I bought from.

This one had a working display, came with box, manual and 12v power cable.

Cant complain for $25. :lol:

Ah that was a different one then. $25 for the whole shebang is really good! I haven't done better than $31 :lol: Which i am still happy with. These explorer units are troopers though! Certainly older and cludgy, but the features and such in these rival the newer base units and thensome.

And yeah, the batteries are supposed to last 10 years, but these units were manufactured around 1997 and from what i understand many don't make it all 10! Both of mine are fine so far....